Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Garrett PP Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Any of you guys had problems with your Garrett PP? Mine is eating batteries like toasting them over a period of 10 hours. I removed the button cover and battery cap after cleaning it and let it dry out overnight but it continues to do the same thing. I'm still under warranty and have printed out the return form so I'm calling Garrett Tuesday.
Funny you bring this up...

I've been using the Garrett's for years, and NEVER had a problem, but, I think my unit might be on the blink. It just shuts down every now & then, depth seems off, slow reactivity time when near objects, etc. It was being REAL demanding today...must've been that time of the month Tongue I normally just shut it off and then restart it. It seems to fix the problem, however, it's been happening for a couple of weeks now. Might be time for a new one soon.

Remember, they're water resistant, not waterproof. I forget that sometimes myself, as they're built like tanks. Try this...

Take the current battery out. Clean the exterior real good. Place it in a bowl of some kind with white rice surrounding it (under it, over it, etc.). Leave it overnight.

The rice acts as an absorbent, that sucks any potential water from the guts. After leaving it overnight, pop in a premium battery like Energizer, Duracell, etc. It should work fine. If not, send in that warrantee card Wink

Joe
The old lady's hair drier works pretty good too. But......... same problem!!!
Running 32 sens auto today was no help either as I had to continually move the coil 4 feet away from the plug and PP. Falsing issues I'd suspect. Think the things on the blink and I'm just in the 2 year warranty. Going to send it in and order another as a backup. That Kellyco Vulcan looks good but the final results aren't all in just yet, so I'll wait. The Garrett is a fine unit. If I would stop using it as a digger and chisel, maybe that would help. DUH!!!
had a similar problem with my Garrett pin pointer yesterday .  all of a sudden it would not detect any gold further than 1/4 -1/2" and clad 1/2 -1 inch compared to only minutes prior where it would sense clad upto ~2" away. an inch.  is that an issue with batteries??  I have only used it for about 17 hours
I have noticed mine has a hard time picking up gold or small targets from more than an inch or so. i often have to re sweep my spot with the detector knowing the object is right where im pointing the pointer, and poke at the ground to actually hit the target to get a response.
had it for a couple years now and love it. and never had a problem, as stated above i usually turn it off and back on. i think that helped. might just be getting old and need a new one ... i know i cant live without it ...
I've had mine for a few months now without any major problems--it's finiky sometimes but if I pay attention and keep it (pretty much) dry and with fresh, non-el-cheapo battery then it's quite dependable.
I got another PP from my father which I use as a back-up: "Vulcan 360".  Anybody have any experience with this unit???
im on my 3rd Garrett pro-pointer .....latest one is 3 weeks old and playing up already
...i will say a lot of folk here in the uk ..are losing faith in there pin-pointer now.

and many are choosing a different make now .
Try the Whites TRX.
I just picked up an X-pointer from one of our members "khouse" his delivery was fast! his prices are very good  over all a nice guy and helpful if you have any questions..  give him a try with the X-pointer. ( I 1 . watched his video liked what i saw.  then watched other videos on it and doing comparisons with against Garrett it won out and is LESS EXPENSIVE,  Mind you cant expect any different from any of our members here! Happy)
Most probs with the garrett can be over come by packing the cap with card , thus making a better contact on the battery, this will get you better distance and stop falsing .
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's