Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Minelab CTX 3030
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My "go to" detector has been a White's DFX 300, Yes and I am happy to say I have never been "skunked" when using my White's. 

However, I am really frustrated Punch(NOT to the point of giving up, just fighting' mad and determined to tame this beast) with the CTX. I have used the stock programs that come with the CTX and also downloaded some programs from other users. My problem is that the CTX chatters like an agitated squirrel. I think it alerts on every thing that is in the ground. I continue to adjust the settings, but find that after a frustrating hour or two of use with little success, I put it away and pull out my DFX and find some coins. I could sure use some help with the CTX - please!!
Hopefully Ron (CA) will chime in Yes Aside from being one of the top hunters on the west coast, he runs with the CTX...and he swings a MEAN stick Wink

I'm a Minelab guy, but, never touched a 3030. Questions though...

Is your sensitivity being set too high? This could be a culprit. Running in manual or automatic sensitivity? Tell us more, please.

Joe
How much iron disc are you running?  Like Joe said give us some of your settings.....
Thanks for the feedback. I think the sensitivity was a lot of the problem. When I ready your responses, I went out and checked that setting - it was clear to max (from the previous owner - who had it set on manual and up 30). I have adjusted it to Auto sensitivity, and in the manual mode have dropped it to 18, and will try that. Thanks! I use GoneHunting's combined mode, and also have a training mode, as well as the pre-set modes. Lots of menus on the CTX - very customizable - but also very complex. I will do some digging tomorrow and will let you know how it works out for me.
I run mine +3 and whenever it chatters it is usually due to interference.  Usually pressing the top button to block interference works, although I have been some places where it won't stop.  usually in urban areas where there is a large concentration of people makes it go a little nutz.

I don't know if it's a higher concentration of radio wave, or increase magnetic fields from underground wires...but when it's goes nuts like that I am forced to lower sensitivity.

Check out Tadpole 2 and Ghost programs...it's a very powerful combination to limit digging rusty iron that gives a false 12.40s on the "halo" of the rusty object.
Auto plus 2 or 3 is a good way to start out and learn the tones.  Once you have the tones figured out you can run manual and bump it up a bit. You get used to the small squeeks as a false after a while .  Manual will gain a little more depth once you get over 26.

But the CTX will dig deep 8 inch coins down as low as 20 so don't worry too much about missing anything even if the machine is running at a lower sensitivity.

I personally prefer the 50 Cond Audio -- in high trash mode or ground coin mode.  The machine gives you so much information in regards to tone so why not use it (my opinion)

Good luck--the CTX is a great machine and you can do a lot with it, but don't over complicate it either.  Mine is a turn on a go machine at this point and I only adjust sens and ground balance when i get to a site.
Don't have the CTX but my SE does the same thing. When I get to a site the first thing I do is a sensitivity check. In some remote spots I can get all the way up to 32 in auto and in other spots, more urban as you say, (overhead power lines, people talking on their phones) I have to turn it way down. Doesn't seem to affect the depth much at all, only the width of the diameter of the coil. In real trashy areas I have gone down to as low as 6 or 8. Still on auto and I use the noise cancel feature first, then adjust sensitivity. I'd love to own a CTX but I don't think I could swing it for more than an hour because of it's weight. I've seen some killer finds with it.
[attachment=1968][attachment=1968]OK, went out his morning with my improved settings thanks to your help - just had a little over an hour hunting time plus travel due to family obligations today. But in my hour I found 
3 nickels: 1990, 1999, 2006
1 copper penny: 1979-D
1 silver Roosevelt dime: 1951-S (excellent condition).
Still have a LOT to learn about the CTX, but at least my level of frustration has been lowered thanks. Will keep working' at it.
[attachment=1968]

Sorry - since the attachments don't show in the preview I see you got 3 of them (all 3 the same photo) - yikes! Lots to learn on the forum too.
3 is better than one Happy Glad you're making progress! As with most things in life, repetition breeds good results, meaning, just keep practicing/swinging and before you know it, you'll be giving US pointers Yes

Nice silver, by the way!!!

Joe
That's a good start. Ron knows his machine very well. Hope everything improves over time!!!!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's