Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Shield nickel or 2 Cent piece?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Found this yesterday, it is BEAT TO SHREDS. It's either a shield or a 2 center. I'll try and get better pics up, shortly. On one side, you can see some of the letters for United States of America. On the other side, you can clearly see the bottom of the shield. Definitely a 4 as the last digit on the date, but, that's all I got. If I do an electrolysis bath, do you think it'll hurt the coin further, where I will lose further clues, or, should it make it more readable?

Joe
I don't know what it is, but the date looks like 1864.  I don't think you could hurt that coin.
(05-24-2014 09:38 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what it is, but the date looks like 1864.  I don't think you could hurt that coin.

Not concerned about hurting it, just don't want to lose additional detail, which would make I.D.'ing it more difficult.

Joe
Shield. 20.5 mm
2 cent  23 mm

Jefferson. 21.2mm

Compare to Jefferson. Little smaller = shield. Little bigger = 2 cent

Or just tumble it and see what shows up Happy
I'm guessing it's a 2 cent.  I can see the date pretty good on my phone.  I looked it up and it said the shield nickel started in 1866.  The 2 cent started in 1864.  Try that size test.  That should tell you for sure.
Well this is going to sound real goofy, but it is what it is. My old woman here said I should try and put a drop of vegetable oil on 2 of my wheats to help clarify the detail. And sure enough, I was able to id a 20 something wheat and a 35 D for sure. Where she gets these ideas, I have no idea. Good luck and you can't damage it any more for sure.
(05-25-2014 02:08 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing it's a 2 cent.  I can see the date pretty good on my phone.  I looked it up and it said the shield nickel started in 1866.  The 2 cent started in 1864.  Try that size test.  That should tell you for sure.

Yep--I din't even see the part about the last digit being a 4.  Great catch Will  !!

Gotta be a 2 center then!
Joe- Put the other 2 center you found on top of this one. Should match up in size. My bet is a 2 cent. Nice find regardless of the condition. Gerry
Here's the image in negative and enhanced.
[attachment=1967]
Ohio Dirt Fisher- I use olive oil for all my old copper coins. Soak them for a few weeks , and bush them off now and then.It brings out the details on the coin.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's