Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: AT Pro Coil connection Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I cant seem to be able to connect the coil connector all the way up to the top of the threads.  It looks like the little plastic guide that fits in the metal groove is too big.  If I push very hard into the 4 pin connector the O ring will go in just enough to where you cant see it.  When I tighten the screw there is a gap from the top and the threads of about 1/8 of an inch.  If I pull the connector back off, the plastic guide that is made to fit into the metal groove is all scratched up as if I was forcing it where it doesn't want to fit. 

Anyone else have this problem?  I might take a razorblade to the plastic groove and see if it helps.  I want to take this detector into the water but I am worried I might have an issue since the connector doesn't screw on 100%. 

I found a picture (not mine) of someone who looks to have the same exact fit on their coil cable to the housing.  http://imgur.com/l2giMEM  You can see the threads exposed. 

Thanks for any advise you can offer.
That is the ONE bad thing about the AT line...those damn connectors!!!

Trust me, seems everyone and their mother has/had a hard time connecting those bad boys (including myself!).

In terms of a gap, there shouldn't be one, they should each sit together. Try using a bit of force when connecting them, as I had to do the same. Don't force them, or jam them together, but, you have to use a bit of elbow grease.

Joe
Thanks I will try again.  It seems I already pushed it as hard as I could without breaking the thing.  Maybe I am just babying the unit too much. 

I noticed the same issue with the Garrett head phones but the Grey Ghost headphones fit like a glove and tightened all the way up with no problems.
It looks to me that guy has 2 issues in that picture.  Anyway what everyone needs to do when they buy an At series is buy a dozen new o-rings. If you push that connector in and the o-ring puckers out you need to throw it away.  I bought red silicone o-rings on line and they were a little bit more noodly to get on.  But once you find the trick it's not so bad. Also you can go to Lowe's or plumbing supply and buy a little container of "silicone" plumbers grease.  It is a real heavy grease and works great.  Plus it about $3.  It helps when putting a new o-ring on to make sure the groove is free from any grease.  This helps the o-ring from slipping out.  Then put a light coat on the outside of the o-ring.  Then place the connector strait in with a tiny wiggle.  Once you see the o-ring compress evenly and is 100% in the bore then slide your nut up and tighten all the while wiggling the connector until fully seated.  Yes it takes some force.  But the grease and wiggle should get it seated.  This is not a concern when hunting the land.  When on land especially if your switching coils there is no need for that o-ring.  Still load the end with grease to keep rain and dirt out.  But this really helps in changing out coils. I also ran the headphones without the o-ring so I could remove and reinstall them quickly when making videos or letting others hear the audio.  Just don't forget to put the o-rings back when submersing the machine.  The At series are more susceptible to water getting in behind the face at the top of the housing - not the plugs.
(05-25-2014 09:31 AM)khouse Wrote: [ -> ]It looks to me that guy has 2 issues in that picture.  Anyway what everyone needs to do when they buy an At series is buy a dozen new o-rings. If you push that connector in and the o-ring puckers out you need to throw it away.  I bought red silicone o-rings on line and they were a little bit more noodly to get on.  But once you find the trick it's not so bad. Also you can go to Lowe's or plumbing supply and buy a little container of "silicone" plumbers grease.  It is a real heavy grease and works great.  Plus it about $3.  It helps when putting a new o-ring on to make sure the groove is free from any grease.  This helps the o-ring from slipping out.  Then put a light coat on the outside of the o-ring.  Then place the connector strait in with a tiny wiggle.  Once you see the o-ring compress evenly and is 100% in the bore then slide your nut up and tighten all the while wiggling the connector until fully seated.  Yes it takes some force.  But the grease and wiggle should get it seated.  This is not a concern when hunting the land.  When on land especially if your switching coils there is no need for that o-ring.  Still load the end with grease to keep rain and dirt out.  But this really helps in changing out coils. I also ran the headphones without the o-ring so I could remove and reinstall them quickly when making videos or letting others hear the audio.  Just don't forget to put the o-rings back when submersing the machine.  The At series are more susceptible to water getting in behind the face at the top of the housing - not the plugs.

Excellent advice, Khouse Yes

Joe
Thank you for the very informative reply.
what i discovered with mine is that unless you get the pins in "just right" you won't be able to screw it down... hopefully that is all the problem your facing both connectors ( found the one for the headphones much more difficult to align).
my 2 cents worh
Reference URL's