Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: observation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have now gone on a few hunts with other md'ers and I have found a marked difference between the mind set of today's md'ers and those of 20+ yrs back.  back then we were a very secretive and anti-social bunch. but today! the exact opposite.  We help each other, hunt together. strangers with one obvious commonality develop friendships that in days of yor would never have occurred.

It is truly wonderful to see how the hobby as a whole has matured and progressed. for most of the old timers they wouldn't have noticed it because they were part of the change. However, for those like myself that have been out for so long and come back to the hobby, the differences are blatant and remarkable.
While I'm not the biggest fan of all of the computer age 'tech stuff', myself, I think what you're describing is in large part due to the rise of the internet. For example...

20+ years ago, if you wanted/needed technical info on a detector, all you really had was the manual, maybe a review of some sort in a treasure magazine, and maybe a friendly dealer or friend that had the same unit, and could offer advice. Now, simply do a google search, and you're presented with hundreds of pages of information!

Same thing as far as research. Years ago, if you wanted to study old maps, you either had to physically buy them, or, study them via micro fiche at your local library. Nowadays, even a person who knows nothing about maps can easily do overlays on their computer or phone, can tag a map with all kinds of GPS coordinates, etc.

Another big change has been forums (just like this one). With people posting literally thousands of items online everyday that were found with a metal detector, it makes for a more competitive (in a friendly way) environment. Seeing a beautiful diamond ring, or old copper someone found makes the heart beat faster, and compels you and I to get out there and find stuff, too.

The way the internet allows us to gather information, and connect with other people, is truly astounding. To be very frank, I don't think I would be anywhere near the level of hunter I am today, without having the info, and without making the friends I have, via the net.

As much progress has been made, and as far as technology has taken us, I know people that just refuse to post their finds online, or join a forum, or share any type of information online. They don't trust the online stuff, they think it's childish, etc., etc. However, I'm my opinion, I think they're simply hurting themselves.

There ARE drawbacks to this tech stuff, however, I firmly believe the positives heavily outweigh the negatives by a long shot.

Joe
njnydigger your correct to a very large degree ( but 20yrs back i was still on the net constantly doing research ( there just wasn't as much out there).  but in so far as instilling excitement and a friendly competitiveness. Your on the money, I just had a friend of mine take a look at some of the finds that some of the members of  other online groups I belong to have found.  Now my friend cant wait to try her luck!  LOL
Reference URL's