Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: ETRAC or EXPLORER SE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thinking of upgrading from my Explorer XS to one of these, in your opinion which is a "better value"? Also what feature(s) do you feel would be the determining factor in choosing one over the other?!
THANKS
 Mike
I doubt if there's much difference in depth but as far as discrimination and tones , I think the e-trac is superior. I have never had cause to plug mine into the computer but if that's a desire for you then the choice would be obvious.

Frankly, I think the best value in the Minelab FBS line without getting the big gun is the Safari.
Personally I always preferred the E2 over the SE or E-Trac. 

If Ii had to pick between the SE and the ETrac,  I would pick the SE every time.
A used SE could be a problem for service in the future if parts become scarce. If you get an Explorer that's under warranty I can't imagine Minelab abandoning servicing them but , I also imagine they will give priority on parts to warranted items which they will most likely key to inventory and sold items--just good business sense.

Minelab service starts at $65/hr plus parts.

They're very dependable but I'm seriously thinking of dumping my e-trac as the expiration date approaches and buying another or a CTX instead.
I still have a new SE in stock I don't see any problem with parts for another 10 years that's about the time it takes.As for the Etrac I haven't heard anything about discontinueing them. But the dealer is the last to hear
Happy Hunting
(05-27-2014 09:54 AM)Silverpump Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking of upgrading from my Explorer XS to one of these, in your opinion which is a "better value"? Also what feature(s) do you feel would be the determining factor in choosing one over the other?!
THANKS
 Mike

I agree with Ron on this one. But it's your choice. Frankly, I got an SE not just from budget concerns, but from the practicality issue. I read many reviews and watched many videos, and have acquaintances with the Etrac. They have finer tuning (more pixlel discrimination) and they work an area very slowly because they see everything in the ground in all metals. They do have better masking. But all that software means more time to process and slower speed in the field, which is the only negative I see with the Etrac. Those fellas I know with Etracs are all out doing "secret" research looking for virgin and homeowner sites where no one has been before. Sure, they're getting their load of silver and relics, but what can they do in a really hard hit park?

Leo Aranza uses his SE most of the time. Sure he's addicted to the hobby and doing research, but he's literally killing it. Joe from Jersey is using a Safari, and he's a top dog with it.

So what it boils down to is how well you know your machine. You have to dig everything for the first six months. Even if it's 3-04, 9-10, 8-22, 7-25, 3-28, 1-28, 3-29 etc, etc.... and then learn the corresponding tones. And the tones and numbers change with different coils used. There will be some days when all of it comes together like a light bulb turns on in your brain and some where you wonder why the hell you went. You have to learn the machine in your ground.

Sorry, that was a rant.

Also, I've read that ML is going to cover repairs on the SE until 2020. Whether that's new warranty or old machines out of warranty I don't know.

Good luck anywho. It's a tough call.

ps.... And if I were to make a move from the SE, I'd go CTX3030. IMHO!
Reference URL's