Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: at pro international vs minlab safari.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am fairly sure I posted this question somewhere  seeing I can't find it here. I am going to re post it.

Question for any of you that have used preferably both the mine lab safari and the Garrett AT Pro international ( is there a difference between the international and the at pro)
Aside from the fact that both units are very good machines and that the AT PRO is waterproof to 10'  which is the better unit?  I am not nor have ever been a subscriber of more $$ = better machine.

I plan on primarily beach and park hunting and in the future some ocean beach hunting.

which is easier to use, has a longer learning curve  better discrimination etc etc etc.
I have the AT Gold (which is essentially the same as the Pro) & the Safari. This is always a tough question to answer because...

Too many factors to consider; What will you primarily be looking for? How mineralized is your dirt? Private property versus hunting old, trashy parks/woods?

If you're primarily looking for coins, that's what the Minelab's are known for, so, without hesitation, just based on that, I'd say go with the Safari. If on the other hand you're looking for more jewelry & relics (especially in heavy iron), the AT Pro would be the better choice. The iron audio feature is terrific, and the machine is a super good unmasker! Depth (at least in my mineralized soil isn't too great) and they're not known for punching deep, however, if you need something to pick through iron, depth isn't the over riding concern.

I'm mainly an old coin guy, and I've found tons of silver & oldies with the Safari, again, though, depends on your needs & other factors.

Joe
If I was going to be doing some beach hunting that would include ( for me anyway) some wading which makes it a no brainer and the AT gets the nod. The first bunch of gold finds would then go toward purchasing the Safari for the parksHappy
(05-27-2014 05:27 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I have the AT Gold (which is essentially the same as the Pro) & the Safari. This is always a tough question to answer because...

Too many factors to consider; What will you primarily be looking for? How mineralized is your dirt? Private property versus hunting old, trashy parks/woods?

If you're primarily looking for coins, that's what the Minelab's are known for, so, without hesitation, just based on that, I'd say go with the Safari. If on the other hand you're looking for more jewelry & relics (especially in heavy iron), the AT Pro would be the better choice. The iron audio feature is terrific, and the machine is a super good unmasker! Depth (at least in my mineralized soil isn't too great) and they're not known for punching deep, however, if you need something to pick through iron, depth isn't the over riding concern.

I'm mainly an old coin guy, and I've found tons of silver & oldies with the Safari, again, though, depends on your needs & other factors.

Joe

I agree there are many factors to consider.  I hunt everywhere public parks, beaches,private property I never specifically go for anything coins jewelry. thus my thoughts were along the lines of a general md.  The fact that I don't need to worry about destroying the machine with water made the AT pro international exceptionally appealing. The issues I have read that the safari is relatively slow in processing the info is  also a concern as I tend to be a fast swinger and only slow down when I hear something then I tend to go at "dead slow" until I hear the sound that perked my ears.

However, after saying all that i wanted the opinions of those that actually use them to give me 1st hand info.

(05-27-2014 05:50 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]If I was going to be doing some beach hunting that would include ( for me anyway) some wading which makes it a no brainer and the AT gets the nod. The first bunch of gold finds would then go toward purchasing the Safari for the parksHappy

dusty I like your way of thinking .  With my current detector I had only found 1 ring in the few years before life forced me to put it on the back burner.

I was able to get either or at basically the same price range  ( both used 1  ( Garrett) under warranty) the safari (at $600 with grey ghost head phones again 3yrs old) warranty just expired ( which actually made me a bit suspicious,  being sold right after the 3 yr warranty ended? why right after the warranty ended??)

going to pick it up on Friday  ( at pro international) and as you said, after my 1st 4 or 6 rings or enough silvers i will use it for an E-track or safari but that  is an issue that will be addressed at the time  ( I will again being asking everyone's opinion)
Reference URL's