Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Testing kits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=1992]Has anyone used these kits . Gold Acid Testing Kit Electronic Diamond Tester DWT oz Digital Test 14K Silver . Looking at it for the diamond tester.
I have one of those diamond testers.  If a diamond is real it will say it's real.  Sometimes fake ones say they are real too.
Curiousity made me get  a test kit to keep in the truck. They're pretty cheap but I have been told the diamond testers are unreliable. It worked on my brides ring(thank god!) but I haven't found anything with a REAL diamond in it yet to check. They work on heat conductance. The acid testing for gold is a lot easier and accurate  than testing for silver. You can find all the good stuff plus a small scale on ebay for less than 50 bucks
I just got one of the MTS sets. I think it cost me $24.00 on ebay. It tests 10K, 14K, 18K and 22K, Platinum, Silver and has a neutralizer bottle included. It came with 2 - 2x2" kinda dark charcoal gray rub stones, which look like tiles to me, a 10X loop and instructions for use. I've tested out my marked .925 and it's good. And the one unmarked earring I found was .500. All the gold I tested confirmed the markings including some personal stuff I own like my 10K HS ring. Don't have any platinum or white gold to test so I can't say about that. But on over half the tests I had the girlfriend take a look at the color to be sure. I'm slightly color blind for some of the result colors. And incandescent light, or not having daylight Kelvin bulbs to see it with are a problem.
I have a large, wooden boxed, white Arkansa honing stone that I think will work better for color recognition but I haven't tried it. I wouldn't keep this stuff rolling about in the truck either. It's mostly various concentrations of Nitric Acid. And if one of the bottles should develop a leak there could be a lot of damage done. IMHO.
diamond testers are fairly reliable depending on the quality of the mchine.  most /all will fail a \test on mosinite for that yo need a moisinite tester as well as your diamond tester.
Thanks , guess I will look into getting one soon.
Reference URL's