Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: AT PRO vs old gta 1000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just bought the at Pro.  and had the opportunity to use it for an hour or so yesterday. was only able to dig up 2 pieces of buried aluminum siding that came up as a solid silver Sad

some blatant differences:
the at pro
5cm increments ( 2" )
no surface elimination
pin pointing so far not as accurate ( strongly suspect user inexperience)
learning curve
Superior metal discrimination.
much lighter
water proof to 10'
no volume control/threshold
ground balance both auto and manual

gta 1000:
volume control
no ground balance
pin pointing very accurate.
1 inch increments
surface elimination.
next to no learning curve
heavier
mediocre at best metal discrimination.
housing not waterproof
It's all a matter of a learning curve and settings. The AT Pro is a very good machine. But trying to compare an apples to oranges machine difference is a problem. Learning a machine is unique to the machine, which I'm sure you understand. So just take your time and absorb the "new" feeling of the machine.

If I had a dollar for every car part and piece of aluminum I ever discovered, I'd be much more well off than I am. Patience, persistence and the lust for discovery are the keys to success.

Keep swinging!!!!!!!

Ed
Thanks for the encouragement and I did try to give it an honest try.  I just couldn't, the machine didn't "feel right" to me ( and it only felt worse "more not right the longer I was using it)..  I did give it a determined 20hrs of hunting with very little success no matter what range i focused on,  unless you call bottle caps and foil a success. total finds $0.01 and about 10 lb foil, bottle caps and pull tabs with some needles and nails thrown in.
I never felt good using the at pro. Just didn't get along with it. Its all about personal taste.
So rockhunter, you said you took your AT Pro out yesterday,
did you decide to get another AT Pro. 
three days ago you said "
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"  I tried the AT Pro international and absolutely hated (sold) it  "[/font]
just wondering if you decided against the minelab you where looking into and went back with the AT
No, I didn't get another at pro.my comment of the other day was when I had it when I sold it I didn't look back. (the machine was definitely not for me. the guy I sold it too is still struggling with it, he has put in about 100hrs so far and counting).

I DID find out from a local Minelab dealer, that Minelab has a program that specifically deals with Canadian coins. As others had stated the only difference between the e-trac and the Safari is more options and the ability to hook the e-trac to a computer.  As such the safari was taken out of the choices leaving me with either the e-track ( was already sold when I found out about the software for CDN coins) or the T2 ltd SE. which i am looking for on the used circuit. (Canadian prices are ~ $1130 tax in for new machines, is more than I wanted to spend on a machine.)
I have an AT Pro as well, i do ok with it in my area down here in Florida, but i am also looking into another machine, i was considering getting the Safari or Etrac myself. trying to weigh up the costs and figure out what would suit me better for my type of hunting. im primarily a relic and deep woods hunter, but i have no doubt there are some nice older coins in my area. so really need an all around detector.
i have seen a few videos that stated the safari or Etrac have a little trouble in heavy iron loaded sites, where i hunt there is iron everywhere, and many targets on top of one another, but i like many of the advanced features of the minelabs.  i will likely go with a safari or Etrac if funds permit, and give it a shot ...

best a luck on your decision ... let us know how the Etrac works out if you get one.
and always ... happy hunting
No, I didn't get another at pro. I DID find out from a local Minelab dealer, that Minelab has a program that specifically deals with Canadian coins. As others had stated the only difference between the e-trac and the Safari is more options and the ability to hook the e-trac to a computer.  As such the safari was taken out of the choices leaving me with either the e-track ( was already sold when I found out about the software for CDN coins) or the T2 ltd SE. which i am looking for on the used circuit. (Canadian prices are ~ $1130 tax in, is more than I wanted to spend on a machine.)
Rockhunter, you need to find a machine that works for YOU. That's the problem with getting opinions from others on detectors...

A varied assortment of opinions is valuable, however, you're only going to be getting biased opinions on what works for OTHERS. In their dirt. Looking for their specific targets (coins, relics, jewelry, nuggets, clad). To fit their tastes (aesthetics, weight, built, etc.).

Looking at YouTube videos, getting opinions, reading manuals and all of that is great, but, until you actually get a unit in your hands and hunt with it, you won't know if it's a good fit or not. That's why most detectorists go through a large number of units; they don't like what they're currently using, want a different machine for different applications, want to try the new 'flavor of the month', etc. It's normal, and par for the course in this hobby. So...

If you don't like a particular machine, don't feel bad about trying something else. However...

Don't base a detectors ability on your experience of finding trash. Finding junk is part of the game. 90% of what EVERYONE finds is junk. Guaranteed! Further...

If you want to find more keepers to balance out the trash a bit better, you're going to have to invest in much more than 20 hours on a unit. If an average hunt is 4 hours, you've only been out with you're detector 5 times. It's simply not enough time...by far. Once you have a couple of hundred hours on a machine, only then can you figure out its intricacies, and how to find better stuff more often. Also...

What types of places are you hunting? Most of the obvious spots (school yards, parks, etc.) have heavy trash. In addition, most of the easy older coins were taken out years ago, so, all of this might be feeding your frustrations, too. It shouldn't.

Take your time. It's not a race. I have thousands of hours on my detector, and still learn something new from it on every outing.

Find a unit you enjoying swinging, swing it as often as you can in the right spots, and the good finds will come Yes

Joe
Thanks Joe, as usual your input is on the mark.  As you said it is a matter of personal taste if you will.  AS I said I did only about 20+ hours on that at pro and the "feel" was bad.  my gta 1000 I have well over 1000 hours on it and have never found any thing of real interest.  I think part of my problem is that most machines just don't read Canadian coins very well. ( they bounce all over the map)because they are made in the states and designed for US coinage).
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's