Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Need help with AT Pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got a wee bit of a problem and hoping some of you guys with the AT pro can help me out.
Just got my new AT Pro and can't pin point worth a hoot! ( can you say buyers remorse) on my last machine ( ancient GTA 1000 if I hit pin point I would be pin pointed to within 1"diameter yet with this new one I get 1"x8" ;what the heck am I doing wrong! and for some reason ( I am digging everything 30+) have not found any  type of  coins, silver,  gold or_ just rusted nails, crushed tin cans and more nails.

I really need some advise. 30hrs and I collected 5 lb of nails, aluminum siding and rusted out tin cans. not even a single penny. ( BTW I am not a relic hunter just into coins and jewellery [ couldn't even pinpoint my wedding band that I was looking right at]).  I
Well I just found part of my problem! I am in Canada and for the most part it would be Canadian coins that I would find. I just did a test on  .25, .10, .05 and $2 coins with the exception of the $2 coin they all came up as 04/30 or 03 so this means 1 of 2 things to me 1. the machine is defective or 2 I have to literally dig everything including foil (as all other settings mean very little my old gta had better readings ( and still do on all the above stated coins).

you input guys/gals?
When you test your ring, assuming it's gold, you should be in the 63 to 70 range.  Not sure why you are getting the 04/30 readout.  On pinpointing, find the loudest point of the target and it should be almost right under the shaft where it connects to the coil. 

One trick I use is to pin point off of the toe of the coil.  Find the target and back off of it until it goes away.  Target should be right out in front of the coil.
I had the same problem at first. It kept reading in the 40s for everything. I unplugged the cord and repluged it and it worked fine for me . As for pinpointing I'm still trying to get it right keep missing and digging bigger plugs. Guess that's come with time
Detuning helps when your pinpointing with the center of the coil.  Also as suggested try pinpointing off the front edge (toe)  Or you can try using the cross method pinpointing the strongest signal then while keeping your pp button pushed turn 90 degrees and find the strongest signal.  Or you could not use the pp button and just wiggle the coil back and forth maybe 2 inches while pulling the coil toward you until the signal drops off.  Then it's at the tip of your coil.  There are many ways of pinpointing.  You have to find what works for you.  Sometimes the site determines what method you use?  Also I've heard newer Canadian coins are low on the conductive side.  You can't use the display like we do in the US.  If I were you I would run my iron disc to 40 and accept all other targets.  Then after a while you'll get the feel of where your Canada coins hit and make adjustments.
When you pin point with the AT Pro/Gold the detector goes into all metal mode.  I detect using the AT Gold, in mostly trash areas.  I found spending more time out of pin point and more time using the sweeping motion until I zero in on the target; then pin point.

Good Luck
use the tip of the coil to pinpoint...at pinpoints really well...i dont use the pinpoint button,not sure if it even has one,lol.
I made a video showing some pinpointing off the toe of the coil with the ATpro a while back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJIG07v61mE
Pinpointing difficulties with the AT Pro, depending on search coil used, can be brought on by several issues.  Coil covers may protect coil, however contamination trapped between coil and cover can create many difficulties. Refer to to 'Pinpointing' chapter in the AT Pro owners manual particularly section "Narrowing the Detection Area" on page 36.

Unsure what mode you are hunting, what settings and adjustments. Also what method used to ground balance. More information would be helpful. Personally, gold rings for me are by far mostly in the VDI range of 50 to 60.
(06-19-2014 10:20 AM)1string Wrote: [ -> ]Pinpointing difficulties with the AT Pro, depending on search coil used, can be brought on by several issues.  Coil covers may protect coil, however contamination trapped between coil and cover can create many difficulties. Refer to to 'Pinpointing' chapter in the AT Pro owners manual particularly section "Narrowing the Detection Area" on page 36.

Unsure what mode you are hunting, what settings and adjustments. Also what method used to ground balance. More information would be helpful. Personally, gold rings for me are by far mostly in the VDI range of 50 to 60.

mode: pro 
stock coil.
I hit the beach today and dug literally every signal.  The 40's - 60's and again from the 80 - 99 all i got were bottle caps ( different brands!) and 70's - 80 all I dug were either pop cans or pull tabs.  no iron, silver, copper or anything else.

discrimination set at 23 and everything was dug.

Tried using full sensitivity and 0 sensitivity no difference in my results.
Reference URL's