Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Found an error 1831 large cent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this 1831 Large Cent today at a park I have been successful at in the past. It was only 2-3 inches down. Came out of the ground nicely. But I learned a lesson about trying to clean it. If I ever find one again that has nice details I am never using water and soap again. Once I did that the coin turned black and i was very frustrated with myself. I was able to get some of the details back by using a method Goes4ever told me where you use an SOS Pad, luckily that saved me a little bit. Next time i am just going to use a soft cloth to take some of the dirt off. Thanks for looking

Also, I found out its a die error. On this link its the intermediate one http://books.google.com/books?id=PX_...20cent&f=false
Very cool find!!  Congrats!

Don't worry when I got into this hobby I was finding large cents, Indians, confederate buttons and I  and ruined half of them trying to clean them up.

Live and learn!!

Great find and it still looks great and will display just fine!
I gotta hand it to you, Bobby, that's about one of the nicest dug largies I've ever seen before! You must have some super mild dirt up by you, yes? If you saw the way our coppers came out here in NJ, you'd think they were frozen turds Tongue Goes4Ever is a cool dude, too Yes

Joe
(06-12-2014 05:23 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I gotta hand it to you, Bobby, that's about one of the nicest dug largies I've ever seen before! You must have some super mild dirt up by you, yes? If you saw the way our coppers came out here in NJ, you'd think they were frozen turds Tongue Goes4Ever is a cool dude, too Yes

Joe

Joe, most of the time they do not come out of the ground like this. I have found others that are green and nasty. The reason this one turned out the way it did is because there was a flat rock directly above it saving it from all the rain and stuff through the years. I got lucky on this one
That is deff. a nice looking large cent! Congrats!
Man that thing is awesome.   I haven't got a large cent yet, but I'm sure there has to be one around here somewhere.
(06-12-2014 09:56 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Man that thing is awesome.   I haven't got a large cent yet, but I'm sure there has to be one around here somewhere.

You just never know. Before I found my first one I ended up getting 4 in one day. It will come
Nice find!!! Regardless of condition. It's a one of a kind!!!!
Thats an incredible find, and to be that shallow and that old.. Wow! I never heard of soap and water causing the coin to turn like that, good info. Congrats on the awesome find!
(06-13-2014 02:25 PM)I Dig History Wrote: [ -> ]Thats an incredible find, and to be that shallow and that old.. Wow! I never heard of soap and water causing the coin to turn like that, good info. Congrats on the awesome find!

yea, the coin was reddish/brownish when I dug it up...no idea the water and soap would do that, but the look turned out nice either way
Reference URL's