Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Any ideas? Door knocker? Wall Sconce?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Found this a while back at a house that was built in 1790...it was pretty deep. Looks like a door knocker to me, but wanted other opinions. Says 6000 on the back of it. And if anyone can help with a date range for it that would be helpful[/font]
I'd have to lean towards wall sconce. I'd guess late 1800's/early 1900's in terms of age, but, I could be off. It's a super nice piece!

Actually, I just realized in the last pic that the piece curves, I'd go more with door knocker then. I'd bet 90% that's it.

Joe
I don't know, but it's a cool piece.
Dang It Bobby, I'd be inclined to say wall sconce for a candle, 1790's and such. The broken hole area off the bottom of the piece is missing, but I'd bet it was an extension that carried the drip pan. Not much was wasted back then, even candle drippings.
(06-13-2014 05:50 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Dang It Bobby, I'd be inclined to say wall sconce for a candle, 1790's and such. The broken hole area off the bottom of the piece is missing, but I'd bet it was an extension that carried the drip pan. Not much was wasted back then, even candle drippings.

interesting! Could very well be it. Found it in the front yard of the place like 8 inches down
(06-13-2014 10:17 PM)DangItBobby Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-13-2014 05:50 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Dang It Bobby, I'd be inclined to say wall sconce for a candle, 1790's and such. The broken hole area off the bottom of the piece is missing, but I'd bet it was an extension that carried the drip pan. Not much was wasted back then, even candle drippings.

interesting! Could very well be it. Found it in the front yard of the place like 8 inches down

Front yard. That's interesting. I'd kinda like to see what those symbols on it mean as well. A tree at the bottom and another symbol I'm not familiar with in the middle. The top of it shows a finial of water spouting. That's life spews forth reference. I was thinking it may be an entrance blessing piece. Somewhat like the religious tradition the Hebrews use. Got any history on the owners of the property? That's a real interesting find you have there.
(06-13-2014 10:42 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-13-2014 10:17 PM)DangItBobby Wrote: [ -> ]

Front yard. That's interesting. I'd kinda like to see what those symbols on it mean as well. A tree at the bottom and another symbol I'm not familiar with in the middle. The top of it shows a finial of water spouting. That's life spews forth reference. I was thinking it may be an entrance blessing piece. Somewhat like the religious tradition the Hebrews use. Got any history on the owners of the property? That's a real interesting find you have there.
Don't know the history at all. It's used as a rental house now so who knows how many people have lived in it over the years
Im still trying to figure this one out, lol
i would lean towards a fancy door plate for the door knob.
looks like the knob would have went through the lower hole.
i may be wrong, but i have seen similar things on older homes
in my locksmithing days.

look up vintage door knob plates ...
I am going to guess furniture hardware.  Maybe off an old trunk.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's