Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: OVERLOAD!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Spent the entire afternoon out in the woods. Found a spot around a tree teepee where I was digging memorials like crazy, and 2 wheats, so I widened my sweep, enlarging the circle with each pass. I come upon these four rocks. I think campfire stones so I give them a good going over. This one chunk of sandstone is showing me an overload when I put the coil right down on top of it. (And I'm running 30 auto sense so it could be anything) Okay, I'm game, so I turn the rock over. Before I get my Garrett out of the pouch I see a hint of a blue plastic grocery bag peeking through the damp soil. My Garrett starts going off in the air 2" above the spot where the bag is peeking at me.

Now at this point I'm trying to compose myself. Forget about taking pics during the event, I dropped my trowel twice with the bum finger and all as it is because I was shaking a bit.

Put the trowel in and pulled off some dirt. The rest is in the pics. But I'll tell you, when I opened that tin, and saw a golden hint of coinage through yet another white grocery bag, I had to back off and really compose myself. I was able to find a lot of junk but I mostly cherry picked. Got a set of keys too with a tiny lockbox key. Going to look for that lockbox tomorrow.
[attachment=2076]

[attachment=2077]
Uhh, I think some kid is gonna be upset when their buried treasure isn't there.  Too bad it wasn't real treasure.  But then I wouldn't expect old buried coins to be in a plastic bag.  Remember when grocery stores gave you paper bags?  They didn't even have handles.  How we have progressed.
(06-14-2014 09:19 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Uhh, I think some kid is gonna be upset when their buried treasure isn't there.  Too bad it wasn't real treasure.  But then I wouldn't expect old buried coins to be in a plastic bag.  Remember when grocery stores gave you paper bags?  They didn't even have handles.  How we have progressed.

I thought about that kid too Will. There's a Boy Scout Jamboree there abouts every year. This stuff had to be there at least six years. The newest coin I found in the mix was from 2007. I'm sure it was a real pirate thing for them. But if it had a name and address attached, I'd make sure he got it back. And that's why you put money in the bank. So it doesn't get lost. IMHO.
They probably lost the map.  Like Verns pennies under the porch.
Sounds like you really had a good hunt. I like the pictures also Congrats
(06-14-2014 09:39 PM)Steveo Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like you really had a good hunt. I like the pictures also Congrats

Steveo, it was probably one of the best days I've had this year from the hunting standpoint. The weather was fantastic, I bathed in enough Deep Woods to turn the Devil away, and I was alone out there except for the occasional dog walker on a distant trail. I watched deer graze, chipmunks frolic and also scoped out some shrooms. The finds aside, it was a great day to be out detecting and be one with nature.
Oh how is that new Garrett working?  I'm leaving town next Friday.  I wonder if I will get mine by then.
(06-14-2014 10:15 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Oh how is that new Garrett working?  I'm leaving town next Friday.  I wonder if I will get mine by then.

Working fantastic. I think it even has better distance, but I could be wrong. I know when I have the SE up to 30 sensitivity I can hear it in my headphones and have to put the coil way behind me while working a plug. I think I can kill that with noise cancel but I haven't tried. I got one of those condoms for it in yellow from Deerfield today. Fit's nice and snug and I'm going to take care of it a little better than I had.
Dang man! That's crazy. Nice recovery
Holy shitters!!! That's crazy, Ed!!! I would've crapped my pants after seeing that gold color, too Yes I'd to back there, could be other stuff like Boy Scout slides, etc.

I've never dug a cache, you're a lucky dog!!!

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's