Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: RELIC AND COIN HUNTING ON THE FARM ;-)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all,

took the CTX and Deus out for a farm hunt,

Last week I spent a few hrs on a new site 2 evenings in a row for about 2.5 hrs each night and found some goodies :-)

Not showing the pile of junk this time - just the good stuff - too lazy to take and edit the extra pictures and all!

This site (an 1850s site) is next to an existing 1920s farm house currently empty so I found a mix of stuff from all eras (1850s ~~ 1920s or so).

The large coin like object has a date of 1853 but whatever it was is corroded so bad that there's no hope for it!

Found a fatty 1863, a 1883, 1892, 1901, 1907 and 1908 (no S mark!!) Indians

A cool .50 cent bank token of sorts and the prized coin this hunt is the 1876 CC quarter dug out of a hole WITH a square nail laying rgt on top of it! Bad thing is though that it looks to have been hit by a plow at some point in time as evidenced by the scratch/gouge on the back :-( but I'll take it anyway! lol

A silver thimble (marked sterling) and a locket back engraved with CW period looking engraving.

2 crotal bells (one's broken and the other is in working cond.)

A silver plated spoon, iron buckle, lantern parts, etc. etc.

It's now time to focus on water hunting for the summer with my newly purchased Whites Surfmaster II I got from a guy out in NH for a steal (been looking for 1.5 yrs for one)!

Sent it to a forum buddy for modding and he switched out a couple resistors in it to make it even hotter on tiny gold than they're already known for and it also gave it an added 3" of depth -- it's one HOT running machine now!!

Anyway - pictures tell the story ;-)

HH all 

[Image: farmf001_zps76a927fc.jpg]

[Image: farmf003_zps858f6510.jpg]

[Image: farmf002_zps15c627f9.jpg]

[Image: farmf014_zpsc4633779.jpg]

[Image: farmf005_zps5dff92e7.jpg]

[Image: farmf004_zpsc9b383ad.jpg]

[Image: farmf007_zps760f29a5.jpg]

[Image: farmf008_zps53532948.jpg]

[Image: farmf011_zps3abd1d03.jpg]

[Image: farmf012_zps7be9ca19.jpg]

[Image: farmf013_zpse1088454.jpg]

[Image: farmf006_zpsfb5a8060.jpg]

[Image: farmf009_zps87aeac01.jpg]

[Image: farmf010_zps0137948a.jpg]
Nice job, looks like that spot is really turning up some good finds .
As if finding a seated isn't tough enough, you got one of the coveted CC's, and on top of that, a quarter to boot!!! NICE, Wayne Yes I don't have many bells, but, they make me get short on breath...those crotals ROCK!!!

Can I ask why you wouldn't simply use the CTX as your beach machine? It's basically the same as an Excalibur, or waterproof Sov, no?

Sweeeeeeeet finds Wink

Joe
(06-17-2014 08:28 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Can I ask why you wouldn't simply use the CTX as your beach machine? It's basically the same as an Excalibur, or waterproof Sov, no?

Sweeeeeeeet finds Wink

Joe

Because FBS machines (or most any machine for that matter) can not see tiny/thin gold like the old Surfmaster II can/does (except) the Gold Bug 2 (nugget hunter) - not the Gold Bug Pro or DP or whatever - the older ones that look like a CZ made for nugget hunting but - those aren't water proof either

the Surfmaster II is water proof to 100 ft (it's a diver)

and

I also don't wanna stick my $2500 CTX in the water! lol

been there/done that with the AT Pro and had to send it back to be rebuilt thanks to leakage...

The Surfmaster II is the BEST gold hunting water machine ever made to date (for fresh water anyway) - it's a single freq. so it doesn't do good on salt beaches but on fresh water beaches/in the water - there's nothing on the market that compares for gold hunting (micro gold others can't see) as well as the bigger stuff too :-)

That's why I've been looking for one for 1.5 yrs --- there hasn't been any listed anywhere - none of the forums (and I belong to about a dozen!), not ebay - not craigslist or anywhere but I finally found one and I'm keeping it! Had one like 15 yrs ago and beyond for a bit.

Whites replaced these with the new crappy Beach Hunter 300 - Phffft! Please! That's a joke to say the least! These old machines SMOKE those things! They really screwed up when they went that route and discontinued these...

I know many say "well I don't care about finding the hollow/thin/tiny gold anyway"...

Well - "I do"!! It all adds up in the end and since 99.9% of all hunters walk rgt over that stuff because their machines can't see it - I can walk rgt behind them and scoop the stuff up and at summers end - when I have an oz or 2 of hollow/thin gold that they left behind ON TOP of any/all the bigger/heavier stuff I may find = too bad for them and good for me! lol
Great digs.  All that in 5 hours is awesome.
Great digs!!  A very nice mix of goodies!!

Congrats on the CC.  that is a great find!!
Some prolific sites you got there Wayne! So what type areas are you setting your sites on now?
Absolutley beautiful finds my friend, not even sure which is my favorite.. maybe the seated coin??? not sure, just a lot of great stuff there!
OMG !!!! WAYNE!!! Christmas in June no less. Can't wait to see what you find in July. Nice finds man. That CC and the IH's are gorgeous. I've only found one "piece" of a corbel, crap, you find two whole ones. Nice hunt!!!!!

(06-17-2014 08:58 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ][quote='NjNyDigger' pid='7338' dateline='1403051329']

Can I ask why you wouldn't simply use the CTX as your beach machine? It's basically the same as an Excalibur, or waterproof Sov, no?

Sweeeeeeeet finds Wink

Joe

"Because FBS machines (or most any machine for that matter) can not see tiny/thin gold ................"

Yes Joe, that's true! I've depth tested my SE Pro on several different types of gold chain to include braided rope, fine and small plain linked chain in 14K and 18K, both wrist and neck type, with full pop on the SE, and it's like they were not even there. Solid objects, such as rings, brooches, etc, they're popping in at nickel range and the smaller gold rings at foil. So I think Wayne is definitely on to something with the mods on the White's machine. Way to go "Mr. Detectorist", (MichiganRelicHunter) !!!!!!!!

Ed
(06-18-2014 09:19 AM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Some prolific sites you got there Wayne! So what type areas are you setting your sites on now?

Thanks Ray

Mostly I'll be hitting the beach & water hard this summer looking for gold :-)

we have 100s of miles of Lake Michigan beachfront here on the west side of the state so I'll be focused on some public beach areas out there. I'm only about 30 mins away from the waterfront and I'll be going a couple times per week all summer ;-)

May squeeze in some odds & ends hunting here & there too (empty lots, street tear outs, etc.) when I can find some.

How bout you? Been getting out at all? Any plans??
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's