Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Silver # 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tried to go Tuesday but it was too damn hot. Did get a few good signals but the ground was like concrete. So after last nights deluge of over an inch of rain I decided to go back there and the ground was like soft butter. The 51D wheat was at 3 inches and the merc was another 4" away at about 6" deep and to the left of the plug under a 3" root. A foot away was the 61 plain Memorial. I knew from the signals that it was either a merc or a wheat but found the wheat first. Checking the hole again with the PP did no good so I swept it and the merc popped into signal. Cut another plug over the root, amputated the root out and bam, there was the merc about another inch down. No clad this trip. Did a 25' x 25' area in just under 2 hours very, very slowly. It's riddled with iron.
[attachment=2115]
Very nice.
Can't go wrong with silver! Nice!
A no clad day is a good day!  Nice Merc.  In only a 25x25 area?  Can't wait to see what you find when you hit more of it.  Hope the finger is doing better.
Nice silver.  I love spots without many coins, but the ones you do find are old.  How do you set your detector in the iron?  Do you hear the iron or block it out?  Hunting iron can be very frustrating.  That's why good stuff is still there.  Most people give up.
(06-19-2014 08:01 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]A no clad day is a good day!  Nice Merc.  In only a 25x25 area?  Can't wait to see what you find when you hit more of it.  Hope the finger is doing better.
Yeah SLC, I'm going back. Finger is back to normal. You have to hop the coil over the ground one inch at a time and ferret out the bad stuff. Lot of work, but I think it'll be worth it.

(06-19-2014 08:05 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Nice silver.  I love spots without many coins, but the ones you do find are old.  How do you set your detector in the iron?  Do you hear the iron or block it out?  Hunting iron can be very frustrating.  That's why good stuff is still there.  Most people give up.

WIll, I have my Iron Mask set at about half (15 or 16) and you can hear it null out the iron, it's not perfect, I still dig a lot of High Tone iron. My sensitivity is set at 30 on auto (2 below max) my recovery speed on FAST, my gain at 7 or 8,(I can't remember, been that way now since I got used to using it) my threshold volume down to barely audible, and my tone sounds at Normal. The unit in Iron Mask works faster recovery than setting up the smart screen to do the same thing. I used to keep my sounds at Long Response but I prefer Normal now as they are shorter bursts of sound and you are better able to distinguish objects close to each other. The 8X6 SEF coil is an ass kicker.

Ed
Ed, you're killing it! I see it's all coming together for you Yes Be honest, aren't those ML tones the best thing since sliced bread? Wink

Another silver rescued from the ground, by Ohio Silver Killer!!!

Joe
Joe, the tones help a lot but I use them in conjunction with the Digital readout too. I dig many high tones that the numbers are not good on and wind up with iron or crushed aluminum cans. If the digital readout shows me along with a high tone that the object "may be" a coin or silver, I cross sweep the hell out of it. If that same cross sweep shows me a bouncy number anywhere in the sweeps that jumps from 3-28, 29 to 21-30 or 24-28 (for example), I know it's aluminum trash or can slaw without even digging it. If my digital readout and the tone remain stable at the same depth after many cross sweeps, I dig it. This type of cherry picking has eliminated my digging a ton of junk from already experiencing digging it. Now it's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close. I dig about 50% junk on average. You know some of the time you just don't know what's there. You can hazard a guess but you have to dig it if the machine says dig. That's what I like about the ML SE Pro. You have a much better ability to see what's actually in the ground. My Delta can't do that.

And Will, I also have it set in Ferrous tone mode. It makes a helluva difference distinguishing iron from silver.
Congrats on the nice merc!
(06-19-2014 09:17 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Joe, the tones help a lot but I use them in conjunction with the Digital readout too. I dig many high tones that the numbers are not good on and wind up with iron or crushed aluminum cans. If the digital readout shows me along with a high tone that the object "may be" a coin or silver, I cross sweep the hell out of it. If that same cross sweep shows me a bouncy number anywhere in the sweeps that jumps from 3-28, 29 to 21-30 or 24-28 (for example), I know it's aluminum trash or can slaw without even digging it. If my digital readout and the tone remain stable at the same depth after many cross sweeps, I dig it. This type of cherry picking has eliminated my digging a ton of junk from already experiencing digging it. Now it's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close. I dig about 50% junk on average. You know some of the time you just don't know what's there. You can hazard a guess but you have to dig it if the machine says dig. That's what I like about the ML SE Pro. You have a much better ability to see what's actually in the ground. My Delta can't do that.

And Will, I also have it set in Ferrous tone mode. It makes a helluva difference distinguishing iron from silver.

Ed, I cherry pick a lot. In a sense, you almost have to in a modern trash spot (parks, etc.), since you're dealing with 40 years of trash before you hit the start of the silver years. Now, if you want to find rings & other gold jewelry, well, quite simply, one is going to have to basically dig through all of that. I'd rather not. I've got the beach to find gold. MUCH less junk. I'm quite happy sniping all the silver. Now...

I hunt by tone first, followed by numbers, and then by depth...in that order. I'm looking for VERY specific types of signals. Now, there are exceptions, which vary by type of dirt, age of the spot, ground conditions, etc., where, for example I might dig a shallow signal or something along those lines. However, tone, numbers & depth is my system.

I usually don't dig anything shallower than say 4 or 5". Why? 95 times out of 100 it'll be clad. Again, though, if that tone is there, I'll dig even a signal on top. Mostly it's the deepies though. I too dig a LOT of deep iron. No way around it. There are clues you can look for, hints, or telltale signs it's deep iron, but, that deep iron can also be a coin on edge, a deep coin READING as iron, a deep coin nearby trash, etc., so, you MUST dig those deep iffy signals, as that's where the oldest & best coins are. Also, those sketchy signals are the ones other hunters walk past & can't figure out Wink If you aren't coming home with a pouch full of deep iron, you aren't hunting correctly has always been a good rule of thumb I've followed. Remember, most of the easy silver is loooong gone. You're looking for the leftovers, the scraps, that detectorists of yesteryear missed. These 'scraps' are mostly going to be deep and/or iffy signals...which is why they were missed in the first place Yes Also, in pockets of HEAVY trash, when you swing the coil and get the machine gun response, slow down, as this is where the exception of finding a shallower silver comes to light.

You are well on your way, young grasshopper Rock

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's