Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Newb in NJ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys and gals,
Ron is the name (RJ is the nick),and I hail from beautiful downtown Bergenfield,NJ.
Retired,along with my wife of 42 years,and have two grown sons who have their
own families(and another little one due in Nov.),which will make four grandkids,and
we love em' all!!
Maybe I've watched "Diggers",and/or the other MD shows a wee bit too much,but I
must say,they did pique my interest in MD'ing!
Didn't buy my first MD'er,but just would like to feel around the forum for a while to
see what other MD'ers are using,and to get a general idea how others like MD'ing.
Hobbies include sportscard collecting, getting sports autographs through the mail,
and like to read fiction about the Old West.
Hey guys,that looks like about it for now,but "I SHALL RETURN" LOL.
Best to all,
RJShy
Welcome, RJ, we're practically neighbors!!! Shoot, I'm maybe 10 minutes from you! Good starter machines to check out are: Ace 150, 250 or 350, Fisher F2 or F5, any of the Greek series Teknetics (Delta, Gamma or Omega). Also, any of the Bounty Hunters or the lower end Tesoro's (which all have lifetime guarantee's). More than anything, once you know your machine & get your technique down, it's the spots you hunt that will dictate a lot of your success in this hobby. Read all you wish, ask questions, check out the finds & ENJOY YOURSELF on your new journey Yes

Joe
Hello from NY! Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you have an interest in the hobby. Someone I know started with an Ace 350 and he has found a lot of stuff with it. He consistently has the most finds at our club meetings and some of us use etracs and ctx3030s, so you definitely can't go wrong with the Ace series.

I don't collect sports cards but my uncle let me have thousands of them that he didnt want anymore. Don't really know what to do with them.

Looking forward to further posts and we are always willing to give a helping hand
welcome aboard. NewB here myself. detecting since the 70`s.
i have tried a few other forums lately looking for my new home to share
my finds, the people here are very helpful and always ready to lend a hand and a
kind word. 
the Garrett ACE series are great low cost detectors. but dont let the low cost fool you. i purchased a used Garrett ACE 250 for the wife, and have been pulling up some nice colonial to civil war era artifacts with it. 
the Whites coin masters are fairly cheap and work just as well as the ACE series.
Bounty hunter 3300 or 3500 will run about 350.00 and work very well. i actually still take out my old 3300 often and do very well with it. no matter which detector you choose, as NjNydigger stated its more about where you hunt not what you hunt with.
but a word of warning ... it is very addictive once you start making finds. i go to sleep dreaming of the next days hunt . just a matter of time till i start sleepwalk detecting.
Welcome RJ,
A word of warning, once you purchase a machine and dig your first coin or relic you will be hooked for life. This hobby has no age limits or national boundaries, you will make some great friends online and meet some in person. The machines that have already been mentioned above are all great machines, I myself use the Teknetics Delta 4000 which is pretty cheap. You can go to my profile here and check out my website to see the things I have dug with this machine, and you can see my live digs as well. That may help if you are considering that brand.  Which ever brand you choose, watch some videos of them in action and check out their reviews to see if its the machine for you before you purchase. 
More important than the machine you choose, is learning to use the machine and understanding it. The other important factor in this hobby is "location location location", Dig in places where you are more likely to find the things you want to find. Old house sites are great for relics, and anywhere that commerce took place will surely reveal coins. GOOD LUCK FRIEND!
Hi RJ, welcome to the forum. I live about 15 minutes from you in Maywood. If you get a detector, send me a message and maybe we could hook up. GerryF
Welcome!!  Keep in mind--Not all of us do flips and hang from trees when we find a wheat penny!! Happy
Welcome to the forum from NE Ohio!!! I started with a Teknetics Delta 4000 and have never regretted it. If you're into researching autographs and such then you have the stuff to research sites. Whatever you decide, good luck and happy hunting. Living as close as you do to Joe (NjNyDigger), you should connect. He's a pro at this hobby and can give you a lot of ropes, get you up to speed quickly. We can too! One big family here.
(06-20-2014 06:04 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome!!  Keep in mind--Not all of us do flips and hang from trees when we find a wheat penny!! Happy

Pfft! Speak for yo-self, Ronald!!! Tongue Rofl

Joe
(06-20-2014 06:53 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-20-2014 06:04 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome!!  Keep in mind--Not all of us do flips and hang from trees when we find a wheat penny!! Happy

Pfft! Speak for yo-self, Ronald!!!

Joe

Ditto here Ron. Sometimes wheat pennies "Make My Day."
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's