Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I ask for your advice...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(06-22-2014 08:29 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]There is a lot more silver to be found than gold.  There is no detector that can tell you for sure that something is gold or any other metal.  You just have to dig trash.  I usually dig every pulltab unless I'm in a site that is overloaded with them.  Then I just dig some.  Same with foil.  I've found jumpy numbers to sometimes be good targets also.  Could just be the detectors I've used, but basically what I'm saying is you never know what something is unless you dig it.  Learn your machine and the discriminater in your head will work better.  There really aren't any shortcuts.  It takes time and practice.  Leave some pulltabs there for me.

Very well written Pittsburg, you're right.  I occasionally try to side step the basics, hoping technology finally came up with something sure-fire.  And don't worry bud...there's no way I'm digging ALL the pulltabs!   Hi

(06-22-2014 09:09 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I'm mainly a coin hunter (about 70% of my detecting), so, my gold pursuits are normally on the beach. Best advice I can give is simple, but, it works...

Dig everything...ESPECIALLY those low & medium tones. As you know, smaller woman's gold rings normally ring up in the foil range on most detectors. Heavier pieces will be in the pull tab range.

On land, unless I'm at an old spot with little modern trash, I'm not a 'dig it all' hunter. So, not my cup of tea. However, if one is looking for gold, that's really the best thing you can do Yes

Joe

Not many beaches in Oklahoma, so land is my main hunt.  At the parks where rings may have been dropped (around the covered areas) is also where the charcoal grills are) so foil will be there!  

Thanks!
I'm with joe on this one.. I'm mainly a coin hunter but, what I can tell you is if you want to find gold you are going to have to deal with digging pull tabs, foil, and other similar junk.
(06-23-2014 09:33 PM)PAunderground Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with joe on this one.. I'm mainly a coin hunter but, what I can tell you is if you want to find gold you are going to have to deal with digging pull tabs, foil, and other similar junk.
I'm always looking for even the most minuscule difference also...or maybe pipe dreaming a bit too.  Lol  Dull
I'm probably pushing about 2500 hours on my etrac now in mostly modern parks with varying trashiness and have only found about a dozen gold items and the last was with my F75 in a totlotHappy A small 10 k white gold with a stone , probably sapphire , and for a point of reference it reads a 12-03 on the ET.(18-19 on the 75) That's an important key to gold as it can be anywhere up to even zinc country in the upper 30s. Gold and silver appear naturally in the Earth's crust at a ratio of about 17 to 1 and that's about the ratio I seem to stumble over it in modern public areas and parks as I have 3 or 4 pounds of silver rings and doodads compared to a few gold.

Personally , I don't think there's nearly as much gold lost in the dry venues as in wet ones so expect a lot of frustration and digging unless you go to the beach. I also don't buy the theory that you increase your odds by just hunting parks in the upper scale areas of a town as most of my gold finds have been from the more common place areas. The single most important item to finding gold to me , is the threshold pitch on your ET. When you can find the sweet spot to your ears that allows you to pick a nickel out of bed of pulltabs , you're starting to hear the tones you need to find the gold. You won't be 100% ever , but somehow you will start to dig those foil tones that just sound special and now and then they turn out to be gold. It's purer , more solid melody that stops you in your tracks---and then you dig some can slaw.Happy I've yet to dig some gold where I knew it was gold but I've dug a lot of nickels the other detectors have left behind.
(06-24-2014 11:11 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]I'm probably pushing about 2500 hours on my etrac now in mostly modern parks with varying trashiness and have only found about a dozen gold items and the last was with my F75 in a totlotHappy A small 10 k white gold with a stone , probably sapphire , and for a point of reference it reads a 12-03 on the ET.(18-19 on the 75) That's an important key to gold as it can be anywhere up to even zinc country in the upper 30s. Gold and silver appear naturally in the Earth's crust at a ratio of about 17 to 1 and that's about the ratio I seem to stumble over it in modern public areas and parks as I have 3 or 4 pounds of silver rings and doodads compared to a few gold.

Personally , I don't think there's nearly as much gold lost in the dry venues as in wet ones so expect a lot of frustration and digging unless you go to the beach. I also don't buy the theory that you increase your odds by just hunting parks in the upper scale areas of a town as most of my gold finds have been from the more common place areas. The single most important item to finding gold to me , is the threshold pitch on your ET. When you can find the sweet spot to your ears that allows you to pick a nickel out of bed of pulltabs , you're starting to hear the tones you need to find the gold. You won't be 100% ever , but somehow you will start to dig those foil tones that just sound special and now and then they turn out to be gold. It's purer , more solid melody that stops you in your tracks---and then you dig some can slaw.Happy I've yet to dig some gold where I knew it was gold but I've dug a lot of nickels the other detectors have left behind.
That, my kind Sir, has to be the most intelligent, rewarding, eloquently written, highly valued & respected explanation I've ever heard.  You & your 2,500 hr E-Trac have my utmost respect from this point forward.  That makes total sense!  Unless of course, you're yanking my chain, but I'd almost be willing to bet hundreds on the validity of everything you just said.  I'm thankful for your response to my question, as well as being thankful I didn't start detecting with a high end $1,500 E-Trac (that I have now), but instead a $200 Garrett "beep & dig" that FORCED me to listen for tone clarity so I may know what you're talking about!!!  Thank you for bringing me back to the basics...no matter what machine I swing!  Touché Sir.
That's real good advice Dusty. I have done depth tests, not air, with my SE Pro on many gold items to find out where the numbers are and what the tones should sound like. I can attest, but from a different machine somewhat, that the ratio is pretty close, although I've not yet found any gold with the SE. I have, however, from I guess being a newbie with the Delta, found many gold items, which ring in number wise in the upper 30's to low 40's for chains and solid 60 to 65 for rings. I wouldn't think that a static 7.5 Hz machine would do that. But it does, in my ground. However, I have found a great deal of silver faster with the SE Pro "in the same areas I've 'hammered' with the Delta".
So I think it's a matter of digging. I'm pretty settled with the SE now. My goal is silver. If I were to make my goal gold, well, I'd have to do one hell of a lot more digging. I can see the numbers. I can hear the tones. I'm just a little competitive on silver for now. And I agree that the beaches and close water areas are the spot for the gold rings.

HH

Ed
(06-25-2014 12:12 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]That's real good advice Dusty. I have done depth tests, not air, with my SE Pro on many gold items to find out where the numbers are and what the tones should sound like. I can attest, but from a different machine somewhat, that the ratio is pretty close, although I've not yet found any gold with the SE. I have, however, from I guess being a newbie with the Delta, found many gold items, which ring in number wise in the upper 30's to low 40's for chains and solid 60 to 65 for rings. I wouldn't think that a static 7.5 Hz machine would do that. But it does, in my ground. However, I have found a great deal of silver faster with the SE Pro "in the same areas I've 'hammered' with the Delta".
So I think it's a matter of digging. I'm pretty settled with the SE now. My goal is silver. If I were to make my goal gold, well, I'd have to do one hell of a lot more digging. I can see the numbers. I can hear the tones. I'm just a little competitive on silver for now. And I agree that the beaches and close water areas are the spot for the gold rings.

HH

Ed
Yes Ed, beaches would be the key locations for gold, I agree & wish I had more beaches for opportunities close by.  But I don't & I think I'll keep my name, my mission, my detecting goals...aimed sqarely at silver!  Hats off friends!  I love the intelligence in this forum!  Goodnight all & thank you all so much!

P.S.  I'm convinced Explorers are just as much silver magnets as E-Tracs!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's