Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Frequency question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the best frequency for medium to bad ground mineralization a low frequency or a high frequency? I live in Georgia so the soil around here changes every 50-100 yards it seems like. I know the multi frequency Minelabs are awesome in this environment but my arm can't handle the weight and my wallet can't afford one either.
Surprised no one has chimed in for you on your question.
everyone must still be detecting. . i have never lived or detected in GA so not too familiar with your soil. so really cant help. just didnt want to leave you thinking your question wasnt noticed. i did drive through up to Kenesaw about a month ago, i noticed you guys have some really nice red clay everywhere. actually had to grab a handful of your dirt. sure beats the muddy muck i contend with down here in FL .
there are some really helpful and professional detectorists here. so i am sure you should get flooded with some input shortly that will help you ...

as always happy hunting ...
I would say you want to be in the 12-18 range.  The higher freq will handle the bad ground a little better

For example: 

Fisher F75 is in the 12-13 range and is a great relic machine for moderate and slightly mineralized ground.

The Gold Bug Pro runs at 19 and handles the hotter ground much  better but will not punch as deep in the moderate soils.

For  a $1000 you could have both and have a great set up for deep relics in moderate soils and a killer machine for hot soil and heavily iron infested sites.  And both a lightweight

The  Minelabs are good and an Explorer is still a great choice for relic and coin shooting.  Not a better coin shooter than a Explorer in my opinion.  You can find used one pretty reasonable but they are still heavy!  Get a bungy set up that helps with the weight!

Good luck
I agree with Ron. A guy named Keith Southern lives in Ga,well respected hunter. He has favored the Vista gold,gmp,G2,at pro,mxt.,and Tejon..all 15-19 khz.
(06-24-2014 06:57 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with Ron. A guy named Keith Southern lives in Ga,well respected hunter. He has favored the Vista gold,gmp,G2,at pro,mxt.,and Tejon..all 15-19 khz.

Ray, I see you're selling both the TDI & the Tejon. 2 awesome machines. I'm guessing it's because Keith's post about the Omega with that big ultimate coil got you fired up?

Ray (Deathray) is a longtime members here guys, with 2 HOT machines for sale at a GREAT price on our classifieds board...I'd act fast if anyone is interested in the above units. Ray is a class act, you can expect a seamless deal!

Joe
88, I've got the SE Pro and I had that weight concern from the get go. I was swinging that Delta at 2.2 pounds but had to get a detector buddy over the shoulder sling to help me out with the SE. After using it for a while now, (I bought it used in February 2014), I don't need the sling anymore. Except for the 12x10 SEF coil. And I'm a short, plump, old guy. You develop the strength for it after a while and I've had it out for as much as 8 hours with breaks for lunch and stuff. Ron's suggestion is a good one. So is Joe's. There's a lot of them out there. I am probably going to get the AT Pro Gold or Gold Bug as my next unit.
I currently use a AT-Gold 18 kHz it does great in my soil. I use it on relics and coins.
The higher freq detector works best. Cool
Reference URL's