Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 1940 Philly Mint Video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Boy, talk about a time machine. You guys gotta watch this video on coin production at the Philly Mint. It's from 1940, and look at all the old wheats, walking halves and other beauties! These guys in the video made the coins we're searching for today!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBjD9N1APsw

Joe
What an interesting video. amazing that it said they could pop out 4 million of them in a 24 hour period. that is amazing.
what i wouldn`t do for one of those dies for my collection. what a display piece that would make ...
very cool, thank you for sharing ...
That was good!!  Thanks for the link!!

"1,000 Profiles of Thomas Jefferson or $50 that will buy you a 1,000 cups of coffee or 5,000 sticks of gum"!!

Now it will buy you 10 cups of coffee!! (at Starbucks!)
(06-24-2014 10:35 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]That was good!!  Thanks for the link!!

"1,000 Profiles of Thomas Jefferson or $50 that will buy you a 1,000 cups of coffee or 5,000 sticks of gum"!!

Now it will buy you 10 cups of coffee!! (at Starbucks!)

I caught that too, Ron Wink Amazing, huh?! Just think, one of those guys slaving away in that video could've had a hand in making a coin you found while detecting.

Bones, I couldn't believe that number either, when I heard it. That was DAMN good production efficiency for those times!

Joe
Awesome video Joe! Thanks for sharing. Good thing it was showing wheats being made. If it was Mercs or something I may have passed out! Lol
Joe, that's a very great video to example yesteryear!! Wish it was in color but my imagination does the job. To see the work that had to be put in to make just a penny. And they're so toast when we pull them out after those people did such a great job. I have a 1959 D wheat that's in almost uncirculated condition. I have it in a archival container. Just to look at its design and relish the fact that I was 9 years old when it was made. It makes me shudder.

Thanks Joe.

But.............

Looking at the video today, OSHA would have had a field day!! They would of gotten finger blisters writing up tickets and calling TPTB. And probably shut the place down.

That's the way it was in those days, though. Not many, if any, bitched and complained. They "Did" their job, went home, enjoyed the family, got some rest and went out in the early morning, or late evening, to do it again the next shift. We didn't give up. We kept on.

Someday, we'll do it again!

Ed
That's cool. I love watching old videos like that. It's amazing how the process really has not changed at all it just gets more automated! Years ago when my dad lived just outside of Denver we took a tour of the Denver mint. If anyone one of you coin guys (or anyone for that matter) gets a chance to take the tour of a mint I recommend it!
Reference URL's