Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: new in Iowa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone just joined and cant wait till my new detector gets here. my lovly wife got me a bountyhunter 4? is it a good starter detector? im getting over a bad back injury and dr. said i need to get out and walk and exersize
Welcome to the forum.  A BH 4 is a good starter machine.   A simple turn on a go machine with two tones and some discrimination.

You need to get out an dig a few targets and see if you get hooked like most of us are!!  It won't take long until you know and once you do then you will be looking to upgrade!! But better to start with a entry level machine to make sure you like the hobby before investing a bunch of money and finding out the hobby is not your cup of tea!!

Good luck and enjoy the hobby and the forum.
Welcome! You chose a great place to start talking detecting. A good bunch of guys here

You can't go wrong with any machine to start off with. Like Ron said, just take it out and start getting a feel for it and what its telling you. A key piece of information to remember is patience. The finds may not start coming right away and it may take a few times out for it to start clicking, but dont get discouraged, you can make it through Happy.  If you need help or need any information, just ask! That's what we are here for. We want you to get as addicted as we are, lol. 

Enjoy the site and all the offerings it can bring
Welcome to the best forum on the net ...
BH make some good little detectors. every now and then i still
run with my BH 3300 and love it.
like all of us, your treasures are waiting just below the dirt, and you will find them in time, just takes a little patience and keep at it. do your homework, seek out places that are likely to have the items you wish to find. i dont think there is a more rewarding hobby, not because we are able to find valuable items in the dirt.
but by the joy of the hunt, the thrill of the find, and the knowledge gained by researching your finds showing them off and  the wonderful and interesting people you will meet, make this the most rewarding hobby. 
we look forward to your posts and seeing your finds.
best wishes on all your hunting adventures, and always happy hunting ...
Thank you all i loved the outdoors and hiking the woods near my home so this might be the thing for me since i live near many early 1800's home sights and as far as i know they have never been searched.

Thank you all i loved the outdoors and hiking the woods near my home so this might be the thing for me since i live near many early 1800's home sights
Welcome, Kevin Happy I can't really add to what the other guys said, since they said it so well. Best thing to do is...

Read the manual that came with your detector backwards & forwards. Then, take it out to an old site and start swinging. Dig EVERYTHING in the beginning. Once you start finding items (anything), you're going to get a good feel for what your machine is telling you.

After a few times out, you'll see if the hobby is going to 'stick' or not. I think it will, based on your love of the outdoors Wink

If you have questions, need technical help, or anything like that, just ask away. Oh yeah, don't forget to post your finds here, too! Good luck & Happy Hunting.

Joe
Welcome friend, I can't wait to see what is in the Iowa dirt... other than corn.
Welcome to the forum! And just a warning... Be careful because before you know you are going to hooked on detecting. You won't be able to get enough of it!!
Welcome Kevin from NE Ohio!!! You'll do fine! Just do what Joe says. Dig it. Once you start associating the digs with the machine, you'll have a beginning to understanding what it's all about. As far as the exercise is concerned, oh..., you'll get enough. If you ever become a detecting "junkie", as some of us are, there will be some days when you'll want to "rest" your back. Sounds like you also have some good ground to "Go Seek" at. Good luck with your decision. Check in often. Ask questions and above all, have a great time doing it!

Ed
Reference URL's