Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Interesting Hunt!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hit one of my spots where I've done very well in the past, but, you have to WORK for old coins there; chasing iffy signals, dig down 9, 10, 11" to score silver, etc. Not an easy place, however, there's good stuff to be had.

It was a HOT $onofabitch here in jersey today. Humidity was worse. I get to this place at 8:30, and within an hour, not only am I literally drenched in sweat, but, I already found a 1905 barber dime & the silver piece in the pics. I found the exact same thing a couple of months ago. It's either a decorative cover for an old pocketknife, or, something for a woman's hair. It could only go downhill after finding silver that quickly, and it did...with a surprise ending though!

As I'm swinging my stick, not long after finding that silver piece, I see a guy get out of his car about 100 yards away in front of these old houses. He's staring at me. I'm staring at him. He continues staring at me. I continue staring at him. All of this while I'm swinging my coil. He then turns and walks into an old house.

After finding the 2 silvers, I went through a bad hour or so, where I was digging a lot of deep nails. I was starting to get wiped, but, I had an idea. That guy was watching me cause he seemed interested, not alarmed. His house was old, too. So, figured I'd knock on his door & ask for permission. I swung about another 30 minutes, then decided to knock.

I walk up the stairs and rap on the door. Nobody answers. Knock several more times & ring the bell, still nothing. I figure the guy is ducking me. I go back to my original spot & start swinging again. Maybe 15 minutes later, I see the guy again. He was taking groceries out of another car. Apparently, I didn't see him leave the first time. So...

He goes into his house, and I hightail it back over there. Knock yet again, and he opens the door. Indian guy, early 60's maybe. I looked like shit, and probably smelled worse, but, I've been in sales my whole life, and know a bright smile can overcome almost any negative situation. I explain what I do, and he seems to get it, but, he has a very thick accent. Anywho, after a bit of chit chat, he tells me it's okay to hunt his lawn Happy

He's on the porch watching, while I'm on the lawn itself. Within 30 seconds, I get a great signal & motion him to come over. I like to get people involved, and he was curious. He comes over and I dig up a wheat while he's watching me. It must've seemed comical to him that this crazy american wastes his time digging up pennies, lol. Anyway, that broke the ice. Not even a minute later, another great signal. He even looked excited now, and wished me luck. Wouldn't you know it, maybe 3" deep, a 1917 merc. The guy doesn't know what it is, so, I explain it's silver. He wanted to know the date. He seemed surprised. I told him to keep it, but, he turned me down & I insisted he keep it. Then, I go back to my detector...

And my fu€king batteries died! I have perfect timing Sad I tell this guy I need to go get more batteries so my machine can go deeper (haha) & I'll be right back. I rush to the store with visions of sugar plumbs dancing in my head about this property, get new batts & a Gatorade and rush back to this guys house. I start swinging again, and he's inside the house. I'm alone maybe 20 minutes, and wouldn't you know, I never pulled another silver! He finally came back out and watched me dig some junk and a few wheats, but, I didn't want to take advantage of his time. I asked if I can return to hunt his backyard & he said yes. He then offered to give me the merc back, (and you know I wanted it, lol), but, the guy was a real gentleman, and I wanted him to have it. I took a pic of him holding it though. He asked me what he was going to do with the dime, and I said "put it in the bank". He found that pretty funny.

I know this is a giant ass post over a simple freakin merc, but, it's been a looooooooong time since I've hit a private property, and this guy was super nice, so, thought I'd share the story since it was a bit of a change from my normal modus operandi Yes

P.S. - I blurred one pic so none of my local competition catches on to my spot Wink

Joe
Happy awesome story ... that had to be fun.
man. you are killing the coins in your area.
you must have 50 gal buckets full of silver by now.
ive only been here a month. and you Sir are digging some nice dirt ...
awesome hunt, very nice ....
Way to go Joe. I know you've been wanting to knock on doors and I'm glad you did. I wish I could have hunted with you but you know me and the heat. I went to a store today and came home soaked! We'll get back to that place as soon as it is bearable. You have four times the silver I have. Gerry
Way to go Joe, you just opened the door to many more places to hunt. After a while maybe he has some friends yards you can detect also.
LOL, great story, especially the part about the batteries. I go berserk when that happens. Kind of like missing a birdie 2' putt on the 18th to make par. And watch for the other neighbors watching you. You could "own" the neighborhood in a week. When I was in the masonry business, we'd do a chimney tuck point job on some house and get 2 or 3 from the neighbors before we left the street.

And those flipping nails are driving me crazy too.
Haha! Nice joe, a merc at 3 inches is not a bad private property fix. I have been getting skunked bad in yards that I have got permission by door knocking. The heat and humidity have been rough too. Finally got a little rain though, ground was getting pretty hard to dig up here. Nice coins joe keep em' coming.
Dude Joe! That's a great story man and nice finds to boot! Nothing like letting others get a kick out of what we do. Can't go wrong with a day like that
Way to go Joe. Gonna be funny if you go back and dude has a bountyhunter and diggin up his whole yard
(06-25-2014 10:39 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Way to go Joe. Gonna be funny if you go back and dude has a bountyhunter and diggin up his whole yard

Ray, LOL Laughing, I know of a century property my wife owned 15 years ago with her late husband and I'm afraid to go ask because the one's a contract lawyer and the other is now on the school board.
Reference URL's