Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Identifying Venomous Snakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just thought I'd post this link for the newbies out there. Some of us on this forum would not have too much of a problem with these snakes. But some others may not be too informed and may not know which is which. So as just a precaution to everyone out there I'm suggesting this link to a very good article about the who, what and where of the North American snakes we need to be cautious of. Enjoy.

The reason I bring this up is on a trout stream wader fishing trip in the mountains, I decided to take in PA, when I lived there, I sat my tired ass down along a bank for a moment to refloat some salmon eggs and when I had to re-bait my hook, turned to the left for the bait pouch and found a five foot Copperhead lounging. I was stuck there in that general area on my bottom until he decided to cross stream an hour later. An experience I will never forget.

http://beprepared.com/blog/14959/how-to-...us-snakes/
very good post.
a lot of us hunt the woods, and if you don`t know your snakes. it can really lead to a very bad day detecting.
rule of thumb, if you cannot 100% id a snake do not touch it.
do not rely on the slit eye round eye crap, that is hocus pocus.
coral snakes have round eyes and will hurt ya bad .

great info for all, good job ...

(06-25-2014 11:17 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Just thought I'd post this link for the newbies out there. Some of us on this forum would not have too much of a problem with these snakes. But some others may not be too informed and may not know which is which. So as just a precaution to everyone out there I'm suggesting this link to a very good article about the who, what and where of the North American snakes we need to be cautious of. Enjoy.

The reason I bring this up is on a trout stream wader fishing trip in the mountains, I decided to take in PA, when I lived there, I sat my tired ass down along a bank for a moment to refloat some salmon eggs and when I had to re-bait my hook, turned to the left for the bait pouch and found a five foot Copperhead lounging. I was stuck there in that general area on my bottom until he decided to cross stream an hour later. An experience I will never forget.

http://beprepared.com/blog/14959/how-to-...us-snakes/

I have a coral snake tattooed on my left forearm arm ... just for positive ID ...
Thank You BONES! I actually like snakes. Venomous or otherwise. They were put here for a purpose. And just for the record, I found a clutch of Turtle eggs in my topsoil stockpile at work two weeks ago yesterday, about 100 feet from a small creek that runs through the property. I'm pretty sure they're Northern Wood Turtles. So I planted a 6' diameter snowfence around them and told my worker kids to stay away from that area until they hatch. Ain't nature great! God I love it!
(06-25-2014 11:54 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Thank You BONES! I actually like snakes. Venomous or otherwise. They were put here for a purpose. And just for the record, I found a clutch of Turtle eggs in my topsoil stockpile at work two weeks ago yesterday, about 100 feet from a small creek that runs through the property. I'm pretty sure they're Northern Wood Turtles. So I planted a 6' diameter snowfence around them and told my worker kids to stay away from that area until they hatch. Ain't nature great! God I love it!

oh wow, that is a sweet little find. nice job on protecting them.
if its out doors or part of nature you can count me in,
love the outdoors. and all wildlife. even the " bad ones "
they are here for a reason, it is only us who have forgotten why we are here.
and that we are all part of a bigger and perfect system of life, sometimes i hate being human ... nature works in perfect harmony, we work against it, and do our best to destroy it ... one day all human life will be extinct , and the world will be in perfect balance again ... damn humans ....
Pretty easy around my parts,we only have the northern pacific rattler...but lots of them. Had a lot of close calls,usually while fishing. Im with you guys,love nature. I work outdoors,and play outdoors.
Reference URL's