Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: few odd pieces.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
silver dime, my best find for the day was the old axe head. that brought a big smile. and a small brass key hole broken off a small chest or lock box.
another odd item was the second black glass rod that i have found. so far i have pulled up two of these small black glass rods in holes with odd iron. have no idea what they are.
pulled up a few older nails and in one of the holes was a nice little bottle.
a couple pennies dates unknown yet, and a coin embedded in rust.
over all had a fun hunting day and thats what its all about ...

Happy Hunting ... Bones ...

[attachment=2276][attachment=2277][attachment=2278][attachment=2279][attachment=2280][attachment=2281][attachment=2282][attachment=2283][attachment=2284][attachment=2285][attachment=2286][attachment=2287][attachment=2288]
(06-27-2014 06:35 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome axe head!!! Last one I found was in the woods, years ago. Love those Yes Man, those glass rods are weird. Antique crack pipes, maybe? Tongue Btw, how long were you with the Ripley's museum? That must've been a cool gig!

Joe
Thank you,
Colonial crack pipe ... lol, thats one for the museum ...  
(06-27-2014 07:31 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]How do you like the AT Pro, Bones? I have the Gold, and MAN is it good in iron Yes

Joe
Excellent machine, but i feel it is still missing things, every time i go back days later to the same spots, there is always more there. .. or someone`s following me burying relics behind me ...
(06-27-2014 07:55 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]BONES, nice hunt for a few hours, like the axe head and the bottle. But I especially like the graphite, possibly civil war, pencil you're calling a glass rod. Go ahead, look it up! You might be sitting on top of a colonial army, Jackson's era, or civil war encampment.
Way to go bud!

could be
(06-28-2014 07:01 AM)I Dig History Wrote: [ -> ]I'm intrigued by the black glass rods, would love to know what they are. You have an outstanding property with a lot of history,  I could do with out the snakes though. 

Glass rods have been used by glass blowers for centuries. Usually the oldest glass pieces are black.  If you ever find any odd tools,  you might want to search glass blowing tools. 

the rods are solid. not tubes,
i think Ohio Dirt Fisher may have nailed it
as a possible civil war era graphite pencil.
i did a little looking around the old internet they are a little tough to find, but i do believe he is right and that is what they likely are ...
i  even took the small one a drew a little picture. to test it out.
it was kinda cool to think some one may have wrote their last letters home with that same pencil. and then to think, that`s not something you can just metal detect and pull up, gotta get lucky to pull up the non metallic items with the metal. makes it even more special ...
Thats pretty cool, should be interesting to watch.
did a little research, and they seem pretty hard to find info on.
but here is a brief history of the graphite pencil. from what i understand it was not until 1560 when they started wrapping the graphite " wad pencils " in wood or string.
prior to that they where just a graphite stick .
here is one of the better sources of info i have located on them .
if anyone has other info or sites with more info, i would love to read a bit more on them. thanks for the help on ID ODF 

and as always happy hunting to all ..and to all a good day ...

http://www.historicalfolktoys.com/catcont/1004.html
(06-28-2014 07:38 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Great finds once again.  I would keep that place to myself too.  Is that a Bounty Hunter I see in the pic?

thank you .
(06-28-2014 09:49 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Arrrgh.  We be searchin high and low.  I had to mention the BH because you are finding great things with it.  I read where people talk bad about the BH line on other forums and I just don't get it.  This is good for new people to see that you can get great digs with any capable detector.  Even the affordable Bounty Hunters.  Savvy?

oh yes.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's