Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: WOW! More Virginia History!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dude, that's awesome!!! I dig those round balls!!! I would vote a hand crank of some sort on that relic piece. How much of your property have you covered, so far? You're going to be pulling some PHENOMENAL finds from there. It's a no-brainer due to the age/history of the property. Glad we get to see the results Yes

Thanks a MILLION for the awesome intro & closing 'shout out'!!!!!!!!!! You rock, brother Happy

Joe
Very nice hunt. got a few cool old items out the ground, Did you ever end up getting an ID on that " stir thing " i remember you posting it a couple weeks ago, thought it was quite interesting.
(06-27-2014 09:11 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Dude, that's awesome!!! I dig those round balls!!! I would vote a hand crank of some sort on that relic piece. How much of your property have you covered, so far? You're going to be pulling some PHENOMENAL finds from there. It's a no-brainer due to the age/history of the property. Glad we get to see the results Yes

Thanks a MILLION for the awesome intro & closing 'shout out'!!!!!!!!!! You rock, brother Happy

Joe

I have only scratched the surface of things here, maybe 5% of the property.  I would hunt more often but it would probably end in a divorce.  

(06-27-2014 09:13 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice hunt. got a few cool old items out the ground, Did you ever end up getting an ID on that " stir thing " i remember you posting it a couple weeks ago, thought it was quite interesting.
No ID on the stir thing, you and I are so spoiled with such great history on our own property.  I just wish I could spend more time hunting.
(06-27-2014 10:32 PM)I Dig History Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2014 09:11 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Dude, that's awesome!!! I dig those round balls!!! I would vote a hand crank of some sort on that relic piece. How much of your property have you covered, so far? You're going to be pulling some PHENOMENAL finds from there. It's a no-brainer due to the age/history of the property. Glad we get to see the results Yes

Joe

I have only scratched the surface of things here, maybe 5% of the property.  I would hunt more often but it would probably end in a divorce.  

(06-27-2014 09:13 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice hunt. got a few cool old items out the ground, Did you ever end up getting an ID on that " stir thing " i remember you posting it a couple weeks ago, thought it was quite interesting.
No ID on the stir thing, you and I are so spoiled with such great history on our own property.  I just wish I could spend more time hunting.

*** WARNING DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME ***

getting the extra time to hunt is easy , just gotta flip a truck 5 times , get squashed in two corvettes, get knocked down the road off your Harley, and call a good attorney each time.
piece of cake ...
only down side. got home from detecting yesterday, and had the worse pain in my foot i have ever felt. ended up spending hours at the ER till 4am last night. turns out i have neuropathic pain from nerve damage ...
but, i do have lots of free time to enjoy the pain   ...
(06-28-2014 11:42 AM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2014 10:32 PM)I Dig History Wrote: [ -> ]

Joe

*** WARNING DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME ***

getting the extra time to hunt is easy , just gotta flip a truck 5 times , get squashed in two corvettes, get knocked down the road off your Harley, and call a good attorney each time.
piece of cake ...
only down side. got home from detecting yesterday, and had the worse pain in my foot i have ever felt. ended up spending hours at the ER till 4am last night. turns out i have neuropathic pain from nerve damage ...
but, i do have lots of free time to enjoy the pain   ...

Wow! I think I am going to work on another way to free up my time.  Hope the foot feels better soon. 
I have to agree. it freed up my time. but dang does it suck.
but just think, the property your hunting is all yours.
you have all the time in the world to get out there and dig it up as much as you want.
gives you something to look forward to after a long day at work ...
sounds like you grabbed a nice piece of property with some nice old history.
it will be pretty exciting over the years to unearth the history of your own home ...
It's really a privilege to watch someone detect on their own property I Dig. How many houses I've owned in the past makes me sick that I never detected them or thought about the hobby. You're finding a lot of the stuff of the past history of that house and I see you are keeping it and making a record. That's what this hobby really boils down to, especially with the coming visit from the Virginia Archaeologists I saw in your other post with the shoe buckle. And a great find btw. Who knows, you may end up with a historic property and get a National Register plaque on your front entrance. You seem like the kind of person who can handle that kind of respect and honor.

We don't have that specific type of relic here, unfortunately. Round balls, shoe buckles and that era are far and few between. Which makes your videos, with the great Teknetics Delta 4000, all the better for us guys in the rust belt who are digging up old Ford tractor and 56 Chevy parts. So keep those videos a coming! We here in these areas enjoy seeing that stuff.

As far as that whirly thing goes, have you considered a "vintage butter churn", or, "Dough mixer", or, "Ice cream churner"? I think you may have a relic from the 20's or 30's there and modern for that "Electric" era.

Ed
(06-29-2014 11:17 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]It's really a privilege to watch someone detect on their own property I Dig. How many houses I've owned in the past makes me sick that I never detected them or thought about the hobby. You're finding a lot of the stuff of the past history of that house and I see you are keeping it and making a record. That's what this hobby really boils down to, especially with the coming visit from the Virginia Archaeologists I saw in your other post with the shoe buckle. And a great find btw. Who knows, you may end up with a historic property and get a National Register plaque on your front entrance. You seem like the kind of person who can handle that kind of respect and honor.

We don't have that specific type of relic here, unfortunately. Round balls, shoe buckles and that era are far and few between. Which makes your videos, with the great Teknetics Delta 4000, all the better for us guys in the rust belt who are digging up old Ford tractor and 56 Chevy parts. So keep those videos a coming! We here in these areas enjoy seeing that stuff.

As far as that whirly thing goes, have you considered a "vintage butter churn", or, "Dough mixer", or, "Ice cream churner"? I think you may have a relic from the 20's or 30's there and modern for that "Electric" era.

Ed

Thanks for the comment Ed,

I am very privileged to have such an old home (circa 1735) and unfortunately a lot of the legal documents that would normally provide specific answers to some of my questions were destroyed during the Civil War. I was able to get the home listed on the National Historic Registry about two years ago. All of the research that went into that did reveal a lot of fascinating history that I will one day get around to condensing and putting on my website. I want to shorten the 98 pages down to about 3 pages, nobody really wants to read most of that stuff. 
The two archaeologist coming Thursday also played a big role in the research and obtaining the Historic Registry designation. I have intrigued them with my recent detector finds and they hope to discover from the test digs a reason to do more research here. It also provides great field experience for their interns from the College of William and Mary, where they teach. I am also extremely lucky to have them as a resource. 

I understand the Midwest all too well having grown up in Northwest Missouri, maybe that is why I am so fascinated with the history that liters the state of Virginia. I think you are right on target with the whirly thing, I assumed it is exactly what you were thinking, but have not been able to find any of those things that resemble this... so still a little stumped and won't stop researching until I am satisfied. It's definitely early 20th century. 

I would love to pick your brain sometime about the Tek delta machine, I see you list it as part of your arsenal. I would love to know how helpful you think the other coils are to that machine, compared to the stock 8" round coil? 
Quote:I would love to pick your brain sometime about the Tek delta machine, I see you list it as part of your arsenal. I would love to know how helpful you think the other coils are to that machine, compared to the stock 8" round coil? 

I Dig, I think the Delta is a great all around machine for any kind of detecting and I've used mine in all kinds of situations. The reason I bought that detector was I saw that the hobby was a "grow into" affair and not wanting to start out with a machine that was at the bottom of features and adaptability, I chose the Delta. From my perspective, it was a very good decision. I used the 8" concentric as far as I could take it. I found the stock coil to be good for general work, but in trashy situations, many of the areas where I detect, I found it lacked the total discrimination ability I needed. After long and arduous research, I decided to opt for the Tek 10x5 as my first alternate coil. As a test, I went back over every site I'd been to and hit it again. To my great surprise, I found more stuff, with better discrimination, and wound up not using the 8" for some time. It actually paid for itself in less than 2 months. Then, after using that 10x5 for well over a year, and moving into new hunting territories, I found I was spending more time swinging and not covering any real good amount of ground. So after another research project, I opted for the 13" ultimate. (And waited 3 months to get it.) Honestly, you have a seven acre site, are young and healthy, (I pray.), and it seems you want to detect that property more so than to go venture beyond and see what's out there. Which is great, in my opinion as I have stated. So having the time, the owners permission, (you), and the ability to see where you are out your back kitchen window, I'd opt for the 10x5 as a first alternate coil. Don't get me wrong though. The 13" ultimate is a killer, but when you want to pick through the stuff, the 10x5 slices right through.

Hope this helps!!

Have a great Fourth!!

Ed
Reference URL's