Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Interesting hunt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went to one of my usual spots after work yesterday. I have hunted this spot hard this year so the good high tones are few and far between. I decided to start digging some of the odd mid tones and things that I normally wouldn't. It wasn't to bad I will probably try it again today. I dug a few old Jefferson nickels from the 40's and 50's. I found one no date pretty toasted buffalo. One target made my heart miss a couple beats when I dug it. I have never found gold with my detector, I just don't dig those types of signals most of the time. I dug a ring and when it popped out of the ground it was shiny yellow like gold would be! I got excited! Anyway I got it home and cleaned it up and there is a little copper corrosion on the bottom of the band.. That killed my buzz.. On the inside of the band it says "14k gold shell". I did some research and it is basically just what it says. There is a base metal such as copper and the ring is wrapped in gold. The website said gold shell or gold filled rings were made in a bygone era and have been replaced with gold plating witch about 100 times thinner that a gold shell ring. So I guess I'm about half way to finding gold, I did but I didn't???
[attachment=2300]
[attachment=2301]
Pretty cool, i bet it did make the heart skip a beat. gold kinda has that effect on me too. something about that shiny yellow metal that has been getting people excited for years. i have a few vintage rings, not dug that are the same. the gold layer is very thick,  but not gold through and through. they are still cool old pieces .
very nice.
and hey ... it is a little gold ... so it counts ... they say size doesn’t matter ..
oh wait, that wasn’t for gold .... 

happy hunting, and nice find   ...
Well, to be technical for a second...

You DID find gold Wink Plated, filled, shelled, etc. makes no difference, it is STILL a gold ring Big Grin Obviously, not the kind you would've hoped for, but, yellow is yellow, so...

Congrats on the GOLD ring!!! I have the same M.O. as you. Unless it's a very old, modern-trash free spot (where I'd dig everything), I cherry pick the easy high tones at first. Then, once those become far & few between, I start digging every barely there, iffy tone signal, combined with going after some of the mid conductors...provided they are deeper.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold!!! Sorry, World Cup fever is starting to get to me Tongue

Joe
That ring would have had me fooled for a minute too.  I'm not after gold intentionally either.  So I always tell myself if I find any gold it can go straight to the scrapper.  I never find any though.
(06-28-2014 01:09 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Well, to be technical for a second...

You DID find gold Wink Plated, filled, shelled, etc. makes no difference, it is STILL a gold ring Big Grin Obviously, not the kind you would've hoped for, but, yellow is yellow, so...

Congrats on the GOLD ring!!! I have the same M.O. as you. Unless it's a very old, modern-trash free spot (where I'd dig everything), I cherry pick the easy high tones at first. Then, once those become far & few between, I start digging every barely there, iffy tone signal, combined with going after some of the mid conductors...provided they are deeper.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold!!! Sorry, World Cup fever is starting to get to me Tongue

Joe

A soccer fan !!!   i was lucky enough to travel through Italy back in 1982 on the same train as the world cup soccer team, i was 12 so i thought it was pretty cool ...
I've been thinking about the mid tones as well. Lately though it's all pull tabs and such. It's good that you got a vintage ring like that for your first, especially with the markings inside. That's a great first gold find regardless. So many tones and so many numbers going through the ears and eyes and trying to connect to make a find of that type is a challenge. Found some gold with my Delta. That machine is a nickel killer but I've never found a buff. The memorials, nails and weather are killing me over here with the SE Pro. Good luck and HH on your next attempt.

Ed
Reference URL's