Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Interesting Miscellaneous
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went back to that city lot for two days now with my SE Pro and various coils and have come up with four more wheats. Which makes a total of 10 for that area so far. None dating back to more than the early 1940's this hunt. And I found the hot rock and the cap gun at that location. The 1903 maps show that there was a schoolhouse in the vicinity. Using overlay and measurement, I did a three hour search in the woods, in jungle heat and lathered in bug juice, to find one shotgun brass and an overgrown thin dual tire track that led to an area which at this time of the year is virtually impossible to get to without a brush hog or a machete.

Or..... I may be off in my calculations and it's on the city lot I am pursuing, or... it's just to the East in another large patch of woods and within the city park lot lines I find on the county plot searches. Hey, I'm not done yet! I'll find this sucker eventually. So the city owns some property nearby and went over there after talking to one of the supers I know and he said, "Phhhhttt, go for it!"

Found 5 wheats over there, none dated below 1951, and only on top of the clay at 2" below the tree debris and peat and an axe head and cap gun trigger assembly. But NO SILVER.

So although this is getting monotonous, and those tree areas I'm searching nearby have Oaks 5 feet in diameter and are 100 feet tall, somebodys been there.. but why the wheats?

I'm going to pull out the Delta with the 5x10, and see if I missed something.

All the wheats are in soap solution and I will post them at a later date.

I've not had time to do research on these items.

GL & HH

ED
really nice finds, love that old axe head ... just pulled one up last week and posted .
there`s a lot of great stuff lost in the woods. I cut my way through some deep brush to get to some really good spots. those old trails and lost areas in the woods can yield some awesome finds. new and old ...
Cool finds.  How big is that rock?  I dig a lot of them with the T2.  They are usually shallow and lightweight shiny black on the inside.  I'm curious what the common ones in your area are like.
Cool Ax Head!! Yes
Okay the shotgun shell is Sears Roebuck, J C Higgins line of 16 Ga. No dates yet.
(07-01-2014 11:43 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Cool finds.  How big is that rock?  I dig a lot of them with the T2.  They are usually shallow and lightweight shiny black on the inside.  I'm curious what the common ones in your area are like.

Will, ....It's about the size of a nickel and is very light in weight. Most of them I find here are cinder like or heavy iron and all rough marble like. They are from the froth at the top of the blast furnace vats. All that sparkle you see in the videos of steel pours are swept off the floor routinely and added to a scrap pile of slag. I found another one which looks like a piece of black granite and has gold like inclusions in it, about half the size of a credit card, and I think it's pyrite but I'm not sure because there is no rust associated with the rock at all. I can't remember what the numbers were for that one but it was a strong mid tone which indicates Gold. Fat chance my luck. Really hard to take a picture of it without the correct lighting. Slag is all over here. The mills used to give it away to get rid of it. People in the day with horses and a good wagon would come and get it and use it for everything, including concrete mix. It's outlawed for that now but you can still find old railroad bridges and piers loaded with the stuff and falling apart now quickly because of so much road salt use. It's definitely a headache for the detectorist. Hope you have a great fourth weekend!

(07-01-2014 11:34 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]really nice finds, love that old axe head ... just pulled one up last week and posted .
there`s a lot of great stuff lost in the woods. I cut my way through some deep brush to get to some really good spots. those old trails and lost areas in the woods can yield some awesome finds. new and old ...

Man BONES.... I wish I could just get in there with a machete and a weed wacker. The city probably would either send me to jail or propose sainthood, and I haven't asked yet so I'll wait until Fall when the stuff all goes the way of winter. I really enjoy doing it in the woods. (Punn) It beats the monotony of seeing finely trimmed lawns all day. And I get to mushroom hunt as well. One of my favorite things to do in a new set of woods is to look for stone campfire rings. And the other is to look for placer rock full of gold from up there in good old London, Ontario, brought here by our ice age glaciers. Those Mastodons were pretty smart to make it all the way down there and become snowbirds for that age. Laughing Hope you have a great fourth weekend as well.
Love the cap gun, Ed Wink You're pulling a lot of wheats from that spot, as well as good indicators. I'm sure there's some more silver hiding out there! In your opinion, now that you've had a while on the Minelab, what's the best thing you like about it, versus other machines you've used? Any dislikes?

Joe
(07-02-2014 08:44 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Love the cap gun, Ed Wink You're pulling a lot of wheats from that spot, as well as good indicators. I'm sure there's some more silver hiding out there! In your opinion, now that you've had a while on the Minelab, what's the best thing you like about it, versus other machines you've used? Any dislikes?

Joe

Joe,

That's a whole lot of ground to cover, so to speak.

Did you ever see "Mosquito Coast" with Harrison Ford?

I can without a doubt say the SE PRO is a much more sophisticated machine than the Delta, and to be fair, comparing the two would be like comparing apples to oranges. But you also have to consider the time I've spent with both. And for MineLab to go to the CTX3030, with no in between, is beyond marketing brainware, IMHO. And sorry to you fine fellas with the Etracs, but Explorers' ROCK!!!!

There are many primary things I like about the Minelab SE Pro. I don't really have any major dislikes, only annoyances. Here they are!

1. The Iron Mask is simply OUTSTANDING!! But you have to watch and test the soil and the area. Sometimes setting it too high can lead to lost tones.
2. The pinpoint targeting with the smaller SEF 8x6 coil is FABULOUS!! Targeting with the Pro Coil is better done by cross referencing as the Pinpointing goes to full non discrimination and the IRON signals take over, the 12 x 10 SEF is a mix of both, depending upon sensitivity settings and soil condition. For "wet" conditions, the Pro coil and the 12x10 lose over the 8x6 for targeting.
3. I can now see, (after a lot of digging) by both tone and VID, what's in the ground, and not only the target, but what may surround it by depth, type of metal and specific coil useage. (Man, have I turned into a cherry picker or what?)
4. NOISE CANCEL is the best invention since the wheel!!!! Use it once correctly and you can work right under high tension electric lines or even over underground electric utilities depending upon soil conditions. (WET)
5. All of the OPTIONS you have in the DATABANK (6 memory plus variation on the smart screen with a button push) allow for "On the Fly" adjustment for whatever scenario you're hunting in. This means that a normal single frequency detector that can't handle certain conditions can be corrected with the SE. This is SIMPLY PHENOMENAL to say the least. So the grass is 12" high. Push it to 32 sensitivity. Wave it over the grass and you'll find it with the bigger coils.

The machine is beyond my expectations. I'm still learning the curve but I've spent one hell of a lot of time with it. I'm finding areas where I now understand why I should be doing this or that with the controls. Even before I start to detect. I have, since February, when I first got the machine, probably put about an average of 3 hours per day of heavy field and woods use on the average. I actually use the machine in good and bitchy weather about 6 to 8 hours a day.

I HUNT!

If I take a day off, it's because I'm sick, sore or disgusted with the results and go after better planning. And that ain't as often as I'd like. I push it to the limits because I push it to the limits.

It's just little old me and that's what I am! DEAR GOD! TO OWN A CTX or XP.

I'd tell you more but I'm so full of pizza and wings that I just can't write anymore!

Ed
(07-02-2014 09:45 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-02-2014 08:44 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Love the cap gun, Ed Wink You're pulling a lot of wheats from that spot, as well as good indicators. I'm sure there's some more silver hiding out there! In your opinion, now that you've had a while on the Minelab, what's the best thing you like about it, versus other machines you've used? Any dislikes?

Joe

Joe,

That's a whole lot of ground to cover, so to speak.

Did you ever see "Mosquito Coast" with Harrison Ford?

I can without a doubt say the SE PRO is a much more sophisticated machine than the Delta, and to be fair, comparing the two would be like comparing apples to oranges. But you also have to consider the time I've spent with both. And for MineLab to go to the CTX3030, with no in between, is beyond marketing brainware, IMHO. And sorry to you fine fellas with the Etracs, but Explorers' ROCK!!!!

There are many primary things I like about the Minelab SE Pro. I don't really have any major dislikes, only annoyances. Here they are!

1. The Iron Mask is simply OUTSTANDING!! But you have to watch and test the soil and the area. Sometimes setting it too high can lead to lost tones.
2. The pinpoint targeting with the smaller SEF 8x6 coil is FABULOUS!! Targeting with the Pro Coil is better done by cross referencing as the Pinpointing goes to full non discrimination and the IRON signals take over, the 12 x 10 SEF is a mix of both, depending upon sensitivity settings and soil condition. For "wet" conditions, the Pro coil and the 12x10 lose over the 8x6 for targeting.
3. I can now see, (after a lot of digging) by both tone and VID, what's in the ground, and not only the target, but what may surround it by depth, type of metal and specific coil useage. (Man, have I turned into a cherry picker or what?)
4. NOISE CANCEL is the best invention since the wheel!!!! Use it once correctly and you can work right under high tension electric lines or even over underground electric utilities depending upon soil conditions. (WET)
5. All of the OPTIONS you have in the DATABANK (6 memory plus variation on the smart screen with a button push) allow for "On the Fly" adjustment for whatever scenario you're hunting in. This means that a normal single frequency detector that can't handle certain conditions can be corrected with the SE. This is SIMPLY PHENOMENAL to say the least. So the grass is 12" high. Push it to 32 sensitivity. Wave it over the grass and you'll find it with the bigger coils.

The machine is beyond my expectations. I'm still learning the curve but I've spent one hell of a lot of time with it. I'm finding areas where I now understand why I should be doing this or that with the controls. Even before I start to detect. I have, since February, when I first got the machine, probably put about an average of 3 hours per day of heavy field and woods use on the average. I actually use the machine in good and bitchy weather about 6 to 8 hours a day.

I HUNT!

If I take a day off, it's because I'm sick, sore or disgusted with the results and go after better planning. And that ain't as often as I'd like. I push it to the limits because I push it to the limits.

It's just little old me and that's what I am! DEAR GOD! TO OWN A CTX or XP.

I'd tell you more but I'm so full of pizza and wings that I just can't write anymore!

Ed

Excellent analysis, Ed Yes I think many here that are 'on the fence' about Minelabs may find your data very useful. And yes...

Noise cancel IS a sweet tool! Isn't it just amazing how damn accurate the VID is? I mean, even if it's not spot on, it'll at least be in the ballpark. And of course, at sizable depth, the numbers are going to be off a bit, but, when you hear that tone, Ed, there's nothing like it Wink

That machine will serve you well for years to come!

We just got blasted with buckets of rain this evening. We needed it!!! Ground was real dry here. I ended my last hunt early out of disgust over ground conditions. Getting out again on Saturday. Dirt should be primo Happy

Joe
We're dry here. Expect to be over the next few days but the weather is going to be simply gorgeous. I can finally wear jeans and a pocket t instead of golf shorts or swim trunks and a tank with sandals.

As a POST SCRIPT to my notes on the like/dislike of the Minelab SE Pro, you guys gotta remember that I'm semi retired. I only work about 24 to 30 hours a week. SO don't go quitting your day jobs. I love this hobby! I also enjoy a paycheck.

Thanks for the nice comment Joe!

Adios Amigos!

Ed

Noise cancel IS a sweet tool! Isn't it just amazing how damn accurate the VID is? I mean, even if it's not spot on, it'll at least be in the ballpark. And of course, at sizable depth, the numbers are going to be off a bit, but, when you hear that tone, Ed, there's nothing like it Wink

Joe
[/quote]

Ahhhh.... but you miss something about VID. The relationship of the conductive side of the number to the ferrous side has a meaning not too many understand, me to say the least, but learning, with Iron a fooler. Some targets, the hard targets, have a ratio of that relationship. Do you think all those wheats were exactly by tone? Not so Grasshopper. The tone helped, but now I'm seeing the numbers too and the relationship to the tone. They are all one in reference to a target. It's a fascinating and challenging discovery!
Reference URL's