Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: colonial era button, roundballs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
went out and dug up everything that beeped today trying to clean out the garbage and iron. came home with a bag of odd iron.
not to much in the good finds, but i was able to pull up another plain button
another round mini ball, a copper or brass thimble, and a small piece of another thimble.

wish i could tell ya i pulled up a 1851 gold 1 dollar.  
but, all i got in the change department today was two crusty pennies.
maybe next trip   .... 

damn that was a nice find ....
[attachment=2362][attachment=2363][attachment=2364][attachment=2365][attachment=2366]
A friend of mine just pointed out that the button i found today is
the exact same as a button i found 2 months ago about a mile down the river at another spot i hunt ...
[attachment=2367][attachment=2368]
(07-06-2014 11:14 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Somebody died there, on the river bank, or threw away their jacket because of the heat, a long time ago. That may be no coincidence. Or, perspective wise, there were a whole bunch of them who threw away their jackets or died there. BONES. You're in the spot. What does the history show? Start hitting the local historical places. Get some more info. These two buttons are like a movie running through my head of the Jackson Campaign in 1811 and 12.

Im hunting just out side of St Augustine Florida, the nations oldest city. it saw heavy colonial through civil war era activities. i have been researching the whole area for several years, and 3 years ago decided to move here. i moved dead smack in the middle of all of it ... as i have stated before. research is everything. i have spent many months mapping out areas of interest using nothing more than google maps and a little logical thinking. i hit the wooded areas just off the river banks, and some deeper woods areas i have mapped out. so far so good ... 
i know way more history about some of my sites than i can share, wish i could, but St Augustine does not like metal detectors, i was lucky to get permission to hunt a prime spot right under there noses ... and if my luck continues i may have another spot in St Augustine on a large property that has been owned by the same family since the 1500`s. that`s 400 years of untouched dirt waiting on my grubby little fingers   ....
(07-06-2014 11:14 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Somebody died there, on the river bank, or threw away their jacket because of the heat, a long time ago. That may be no coincidence. Or, perspective wise, there were a whole bunch of them who threw away their jackets or died there. BONES. You're in the spot. What does the history show? Start hitting the local historical places. Get some more info. These two buttons are like a movie running through my head of the Jackson Campaign in 1811 and 12.

3000 B.C.-A.D. 1300. Middle Archaic, Deptford, and St. Johns periods. area was occupied for over 5000 years and includes artifacts from the colonial period as well as from Pre-Columbian periods. there are many " sites " in the area, but the truth is, the entire area of St Augustine saw the same history and activities, i find traces of colonial era activities almost every place i hunt around here.
Reference URL's