Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Pouch contents, ho hummm!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We've been pretty busy at work the last few days but I managed about 2 hours each day after work anyways but the heat got me and I mostly did shade areas under trees and a brief stint in the woods to break up the monotony. The three cut nails are from an old homestead sites' front step area. The whole thing was torn down and covered over about 80 years ago and except for the flat portion of grass and a couple of flat stones that were part of a front entrance walk, you wouldn't even suspect that there was a house there, with the exception of some well placed old cedar trees along a bridle path in the woods. Of course the iron signals in this spot tell tale of something being there as the surrounding woods are dry of signals. I'm going back there this week but taking the bigger coils with me.
[attachment=2443]
The MKS PEDAL thingy turns out to be a dust cap for a mountain bike pedal. And that slag thing for all to enjoy is another type that I find quite often as they ring up hard in the quarter and half dollar range with very high tone.
[attachment=2444]
Another thing I find in the woods is congealed puddles of metal. In these two examples I'm pretty sure they are copper or brass and the round thing is what appears to be a wristwatch case that looks like it was immersed in concrete or asphalt as it has little stones embedded in the open area of the case. I suspect that some of these may have come from campfires or some farmer at some point in time was having a broken piece of equipment brazed back together and the resultant puddle was from the rod drippings. One never knows.

Well enjoy!
Rain here is drifting East and I'm going out for a few hours today to see what I can find.

GL & HH

Ed
Those blob things seem to be mounting up over here as well,
i have a 1 gal ziplock full of melted blobs, some appear to be brass and other metals
i know in my area about every 5 years they do controlled burns.
may explain why i find so many here. do you know why the house was taken down.
possible fire.
one of these days i`ll break out all the blobs and do some tests to see what 
type of metals some of them are. i have found some with text and half melted coins as well.    kinda sucks, i wonder how many of the blobs where good coins at one time ...
[attachment=2445][attachment=2446][attachment=2447]
this is the best melted coin i have found so far ...
Ed, we find TONS of melted lead here. And it sounds DAMN good, too. Rings in just like any other high conductor would. The last few times Gerry F & I were out, we pretty much had our hands tied behind our backs, in terms of where we could hunt. If we went in the direct sun, we'd be drenched in sweat in a couple of minutes, so, we too were relegated to hunting only the shaded spots. Limited our finds, but, better than not being able to hunt at all Yes

Bones, that melted nickel is the SICKEST thing I've EVER seen before! It's basically a skeleton of its former self. Wow. I've dug hundreds of burned coins before, however, none like that!

Joe
BONES! The house was torn town when the Cleveland Metroparks took over the property. Apparently the house and the land was donated to the Metroparks in this persons will. It was left abandoned for a number of years before planning got it. That was in the 30's as most of that kind of work in the parks was done by the WPA during the depression.

I find most of that melted stuff out in the woods, which makes me suspect campfires.

That's one crazy nickel you got there. I had to look twice to recognize that it was a nickel!!!!

Ed

(07-13-2014 02:28 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, we find TONS of melted lead here. And it sounds DAMN good, too. Rings in just like any other high conductor would.

Joe

Joe, I'd dare say that's colonial lead from making round shot. Considering all the battles that took place in your area. I rarely if ever find puddled lead.

Ed
(07-13-2014 06:28 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]BONES! The house was torn town when the Cleveland Metroparks took over the property. Apparently the house and the land was donated to the Metroparks in this persons will. It was left abandoned for a number of years before planning got it. That was in the 30's as most of that kind of work in the parks was done by the WPA during the depression.

I find most of that melted stuff out in the woods, which makes me suspect campfires.

That's one crazy nickel you got there. I had to look twice to recognize that it was a nickel!!!!

Ed

(07-13-2014 02:28 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, we find TONS of melted lead here. And it sounds DAMN good, too. Rings in just like any other high conductor would.

Joe

Joe, I'd dare say that's colonial lead from making round shot. Considering all the battles that took place in your area. I rarely if ever find puddled lead.

Ed

interesting, i too find tons of melted lead in the same spot i am finding many of my colonial items . didn`t dawn on me it could have been for melting down to make the round balls ... i have found many round balls in the same location .
Reference URL's