Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Hot & Stormy 7-13-14 SILVER # 9
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thought the rain had gone by radar indications before I left but got chased back to the truck on 2 occasions. Did a roadside picnic area first off where I got some clad and 1 - 46 wheat in real good condition and a Sunoco Old Classic Car token from 1969, then got rained out so sat it out in the truck and decided to move to a remote tree area about 500 feet down the road. Wasn't out of my truck 10 minutes and hit a 1937 Philly Merc. Which made my day as I've been kinda dry on the coins as of late. Went over the area after getting rained (deluged) out again and didn't even find any clad but a whole pile of screw caps and iron bolts and nuts. At first I thought I may have hit a virgin spot, but after about 2 hours tossed it in as the sun came out full force and turned the wet ground into a jungle.

Enjoy! GL & HH!

Ed
[attachment=2451]
[attachment=2450]
Not a bad little pile of change for a days work.
sweet catch on the mercury dime, that would make my day too.
Nice Merc Ohio!

HH
(07-13-2014 07:56 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Nice Merc Ohio!

HH

Thanks Michigan! I kinda thought it was in pretty good shape. The Merc face is a bit pitted which doesn't show much in the photos but the whole thing is pretty clean. I tooth brushed it off in the truck with some bottled water waiting for the rain to end.

HH yourself.

Ed
Great finds.  You're killing me on the silver.  You think the wet ground amplified the iron signals?
(07-13-2014 09:00 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Great finds.  You're killing me on the silver.  You think the wet ground amplified the iron signals?

Will,

I sure as hell think so. After that last deluge all I was digging up were screw caps and nuts,bolts and nails. With the SE the iron signals read like half dollars and quarters. Man if I was only in the scrap business. But my experience told me that's what it was because no silver quarter or half has that large a spot on the grass. But you just never know, it may be masked by the iron. That Merc, before the heavy rain, was four inches from a screwcap with the bottle neck still attached. A wine bottle. Both at 4" down, but it's signal was clear as a bell and tight. Tight, that's the key. I dig wide signals but the tight ones are always the charmers! And when I see 4-29, 3-29 on the meter or 1-29, 7-29 like that Walker half I got, and the tone is solid high in a one inch or so spot, my dig confidence is up big time!

Ed
Nice!!! I didn't hunt today, but, same deal here, having to dance between the rain drops all day. Man, Ed, you're really starting to slay with that ML!!! The merc is beautiful Yes If you found it that fast, I'm 110% certain there are others there Wink

Btw, has it been humid by you? It's been off the charts here!!!

Joe
Nice merc! I love mercs, and that one is in great shape, congrats!
Nice job Ed!  Mercs were a mystery to me for a long time.  Being a relic guy, I just didn't understand what the big deal was about Mercs, Barbers and Rosie's. I found Reals, Seateds and an 1853 Gold coin before I ever found a Merc.  Fast forward to 2013.  I found my first Barber and all bets were off. 
That's long winded but, Mercs are one of my favorite pieces of silver now. 
Excellent work my friend.
(07-13-2014 09:28 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Nice!!! I didn't hunt today, but, same deal here, having to dance between the rain drops all day. Man, Ed, you're really starting to slay with that ML!!! The merc is beautiful Yes If you found it that fast, I'm 110% certain there are others there Wink

Btw, has it been humid by you? It's been off the charts here!!!

Joe

Joe,

Humid as hell, 70 to 80%. I take a pretty slow pace but when digging I sweat up pretty good. We had some good wind though and that helped. Drank three 22 oz. bottles of ice water I keep in a cooler in the bed of my truck in a little over 3 hours. Worked mostly in the shade as when the sun peeked out it was a scorcher even though temps never got over 83. We have the AC set here at 74 and just walking outside is not good. Even my dog doesn't want to go outside potti and has to be carried or dragged out. When done he's spent for the day.

I tried to cover that area as well as I could playing dodgeball with the weather. We're expecting much nicer (low 70's) weather this coming week and only no more than a 50% chance of rain on Tuesday. If I can get away from work I'm going to hit that spot again and another near there which are almost exactly the same. It's a grassy sprawl on a cliff area overlooking the river with many big old trees shading the grass, a perfect spot for a summer blanket picnic as I think people were allowed at one time to park right on the grass as I found many pieces and parts to automotive products, like spark plug connectors and a few electrical components related.

I don't blame you for not getting out in this weather. This kind of stuff can kill you if you're not in shape and you don't recognize your limits. Hydrate is the "word" and take breaks. Even if it means leaning up against a tree. (And having a smoke. Sorry!)

The Merc was a real surprise. I saw the rim in the second deeper plug of the hole after I PP'd it. I immediately thought to myself, "Holy Shit, this ground has never been thoroughly covered!". And then, of course, it poured like Noahs MF'r flood for half an hour. And the windows were down in my truck. So my ass was well wetted. It is what it is!

All my best!

Ed

(07-13-2014 10:07 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]Nice job Ed!  Mercs were a mystery to me for a long time.  Being a relic guy, I just didn't understand what the big deal was about Mercs, Barbers and Rosie's. I found Reals, Seateds and an 1853 Gold coin before I ever found a Merc.  Fast forward to 2013.  I found my first Barber and all bets were off. 
That's long winded but, Mercs are one of my favorite pieces of silver now. 
Excellent work my friend.

SLC,
Thank You! I love them!!!!!!
If I found a Barber or WL Quarter, I'd have to be resuscitated! I mean they'd find me in the grass passed out.

Ed
Reference URL's