Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: The frustration of trying to get permission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Interesting that this post came up. As some of y'all know, I'm starting to get more into the private property side of things. Well, I had quite a many good leads on older homes within about 100 miles of me, and emailed about 10 different owners after doing extensive research & getting their names, email addresses, etc. This was a couple of days ago. As of today...

I've only heard back from two. One said he wasn't interested, and the other, a female, thought the idea was actually exciting & cool, but, her home is currently under contract Headbang Both were incredibly kind in their responses, however, it was still a bummer.

I've been in sales my entire life, and can definitively tell you guys, once you have your pitch down well, from there, it's only a numbers game until you close a deal. Meaning, you simply need to ask enough (in the right way!) before you start getting yeses Wink Btw...

PA brought up an EXCELLENT point! In general, it is MUCH better to show up in person and ask Yes Why?

Emailing, writing or calling is impersonal. It creates distance between you and the owner, thereby making it easier for them to say no. Casually knocking on someone's door and giving a SHORT introduction about what you do, is 1000% times better, IMHO. The owner can see you. Get a feel for you. Size you up. Also, if you have the right way about you, and put on a nice smile, the law of reciprocating kindness makes it tougher for them to say no. And as PA said, it's also easier in person to gently brush aside any objections the homeowners may have, versus going back & forth through emails or letters.

Joe
One thing you have to consider is whats in it for them to have a stranger digging around on their property???. 
I will be honest....unless your a beautiful woman with nice assets,I would probably say no too....theres no upside except the possibility of you sueing me if you get hurt. 
With that said,Im pretty much 100% yes on the properties I have asked to hunt..because I am willing to make it worth their while. I trade my labor in some way in exchange for detecting. Try and think of something your willing to do in exchange for hunting.
I see where your coming from, but the problem is some of these places aren't just down the street. If that was the case I would certainly just go ask in person. I can't risk driving 30-45 minutes to get a no. Just don't have the gas to spare.

And these places I mentioned in my original post aren't homes. One is a field owned by a group that does nothing with it  except like once a year and the other is a building that used to be a church, but is now owned by a band organization and they have meetings there every now and then. These are the types of nos that make me mad. With homeowners it's more understandable getting a no because they actually do stuff with their property. They actually invest in it. But these places I mentioned have no real use for the land so it makes getting a no that much more frustrating
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's