Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: The frustration of trying to get permission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just can't believe how hard it is to get permission these days. Unfortunately some of the places I have to email the people because its too far of a drive to risk getting a no, but I swear its ridiculous. I just received two responses today, one being that the removal of any of the historical artifacts would corrupt the archaeological history of the site (it's an open field that no one does anything on), plus the guy said happy hunting which makes me think he might detect himself....and then another response was that they don't know if there are any insurance issues so they have to say no at this point. Sorry to vent, but it's wicked discouraging. Luckily I have my buddies 1890 house on Wednesday to detect and hopefully a foundation or two
Yeah dude, it is hard these days. That's why I like door knocking because it puts them on the spot and they don't have much time to think about things like insurance issues or any other reasons to say no. Besides that, if you are face to face you can comeback quick to the negative responses they may have to reassure them it's a good idea to let you in. Tongue
Dont feel bad its not just where you are, the whole country has gone stupid on metal detecting. guess they dont get out much and visit the museums, 90% of the artifacts in the worlds museums have been purchased from or donated by
 " private collectors " or from someones " private collection " you see the signs in every museum ...not archaeologists or those who have a permit to rob history, but by US who actually take the time to seek out and dig up our nations history ... 
you read about all the great finds the different archaeology societies make. funny thing is i don`t see any of those finds in any local museums ... and never will ...
they claim to preserve our nations history. why then can it not be preserved in a museum for us all to see. rather locked up somewhere for their eyes only.
most museums are filled with nothing but a few pieces of iron not even a button ..
where is the rest of it ... 
sorry to offend any archies out there... but truth is truth ...wheres our history, it belongs to all of us to enjoy and learn from . and not just the carefully selected pieces ... 

sorry ... had a moment  ... im good now ... subject always gets me hot ....
(07-14-2014 10:00 PM)PAunderground Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah dude, it is hard these days. That's why I like door knocking because it puts them on the spot and they don't have much time to think about things like insurance issues or any other reasons to say no. Besides that, if you are face to face you can comeback quick to the negative responses they may have to reassure them it's a good idea to let you in. Tongue

Yea man, I know....I really do gotta start door knocking more. Just gotta start getting out in general

(07-14-2014 10:05 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Dont feel bad its not just where you are, the whole country has gone stupid on metal detecting. guess they dont get out much and visit the museums, 90% of the artifacts in the worlds museums have been purchased from or donated by
 " private collectors " or from someones " private collection " you see the signs in every museum ...not archaeologists or those who have a permit to rob history, but by US who actually take the time to seek out and dig up our nations history ... 
you read about all the great finds the different archaeology societies make. funny thing is i don`t see any of those finds in any local museums ... and never will ...
they claim to preserve our nations history. why then can it not be preserved in a museum for us all to see. rather locked up somewhere for their eyes only.
just take a trip down town St Augustine. our nations oldest city. the museums are filled with nothing but a few pieces of iron not even a button ..
where is the rest of it ... 
sorry to offend any archies out there... but truth is truth ...wheres our history, it belongs to all of us to enjoy and learn from . and not just the carefully selected pieces ... 

sorry ... had a moment  ... im good now ... subject always gets me hot ....

I don't blame you man for gettin heated. i'm the same way about it. I try to be respectful, but after some of these responses I just want to lay it on them how I do more of a service letting history be collected than just rotting away in the ground. I want to be like Andy Defrane in shawshank redemption and ask them how they can be so Obtuse.
Funny how that works isn't it Bones? 

Dang it bobby, let's try and get our schedules matched up so we can get out again.
All of you are correct. In the old days a farmer would see something in the field and go investigate, find something important and put it on his mantle for the family and the guests to see. Todays' workaday world people who are set in rules and regulations have everyone on the flip side of being sued for negligence or liability and they display some terrible ignorance about our hobby. You'd think they were Inc. or LLC. I mean honestly, if you found something of an important artifact on someones property, you'd let them know that they have something to be investigated further. If you find a few silvers and some IH's, well, that's a totally different story. Coinage and minor relics have been discarded throughout human history. All over the place. Major artifacts however, say for instance a revolutionary war cannon buried in someones backyard, that's a whole other ballgame. That "needs" to be recorded and investigated. Our stuff though, heck, people don't have the time or volition to do a search of their property. If someone came to my door and asked to search the property I'd be more than happy to oblige them. Biased normalcy of course, but why wouldn't anyone want to see what's there. If you're towing a backhoe, well that's a whole other matter. But a hand trowel? People sometimes are such uninformed and tunnel visioned pukes. For me it's hard to believe that they made it this far.
That's my rant.
IMHO

Ed
I agree 100% with that ed!  Couldn't have said it better myself! Yes
(07-14-2014 10:34 PM)PAunderground Wrote: [ -> ]Funny how that works isn't it Bones? 

Dang it bobby, let's try and get our schedules matched up so we can get out again.

Yea man, agreed. It would be good to get out again. Get ahold of me when you can..we'll text

(07-14-2014 10:37 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]All of you are correct. In the old days a farmer would see something in the field and go investigate, find something important and put it on his mantle for the family and the guests to see. Todays' workaday world people who are set in rules and regulations have everyone on the flip side of being sued for negligence or liability and they display some terrible ignorance about our hobby. You'd think they were Inc. or LLC. I mean honestly, if you found something of an important artifact on someones property, you'd let them know that they have something to be investigated further. If you find a few silvers and some IH's, well, that's a totally different story. Coinage and minor relics have been discarded throughout human history. All over the place. Major artifacts however, say for instance a revolutionary war cannon buried in someones backyard, that's a whole other ballgame. That "needs" to be recorded and investigated. Our stuff though, heck, people don't have the time or volition to do a search of their property. If someone came to my door and asked to search the property I'd be more than happy to oblige them. Biased normalcy of course, but why wouldn't anyone want to see what's there. If you're towing a backhoe, well that's a whole other matter. But a hand trowel? People sometimes are such uninformed and tunnel visioned pukes. For me it's hard to believe that they made it this far.
That's my rant.
IMHO

Ed

You are spot on as well Ed. I told these people if I find anything of real historical relevance, I would be happy to turn it in to them. I like coins for the most part, but I guess they consider coins to be important as well. As far as  the response about insurance issues goes, that's just uninformed people. I hate it
I do want to add. i am all for the preservation of history, and the archaeology societies do some awesome work in the preservation of our nation historical resources. but much of what they dig up is "preserved" away from our eyes and our local museums and locked up. i am not a seller of my historical digs, and never would. there not mine to sell. i enjoy learning and researching them, probably more so than sweating in the dirt digging them up. i love history, and love researching it. and eventually when i feel the time is right, i WILL disclose my locations for further research and historical preservation . and personally make sure that the items i have recovered from these locations are not locked away with me or them, and go to a place where everyone can enjoy them and learn from them.  it always has been and always will be a duty of ALL OF US to preserve our nations history for our future generations, not just a select few.
Bones, from what I see of your collections and your integrity, I agree wholeheartedly. Few of us are going through the effort you are to save some of that history in the forms and ways you do. I applaud your foresight and due diligence to the future of our nations history!

Sir!

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's