Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Live Free with a churchkey and a wheatie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I hit the old park today with the TDI and 5x9 folded coil.  I found a ring.  Says live free with 2 stars.  Looks like copper.  Probably not old.  Its not green.  A rusty old churchkey can opener.  A thimble I thought might be silver.  After cleaning I'm pretty sure it's aluminum.  A buckle.  An 18 tag.  One wheatie looks like 1939.  I was mostly hunting in high conductor blocking out most iron looking for coins.  Not many coins left to be found?
How'd you get that picture of me?  Must have been you rustling in the bushes.  I thought it was just birds and squirrels.
Your church key is a glass cutter. Congrats!
(07-20-2014 09:29 PM)leo aranza Wrote: [ -> ]Your church key is a glass cutter. Congrats!

You mean the Red Devil is a glass cutter?  Isn't Red Devil a paint company?  That's why I thought it was a paint can opener.  Thanks Leo
Leo,
church key is another name for can/bottle opener
There's a LOT of coins left to be found, Will Wink However, at least in my parts, you better be digging signals that are AT LEAST 6+ inches. Why?

Most places have what I call the '3 Evils'. That is...

They've been heavily hunted throughout the years, have been heavily filled, and the coins have experienced heavy sinkage over time. Now, think of all of these 3 Evils and ask yourself...

How many old coins are going to be within the first 4 or 5"? A precious few, IMHO. Yes, some might've been missed because of masking, or because someone else simply missed it, etc., however, these are the exceptions to the rule. I find at least a silver or two most times out. How?...

I'm digging deeper than the fill. I'm digging deeper than detectorists of 10, 20 or 30 years ago were able to go with their machines. MOST of my silver comes up on the last two bars on my depth readout, meaning, anywhere from 8 - 12". That's where most of the action is. Again, this is in MY neck of the woods. There ARE places where I dig everything, but, those places are rare. One also has to consider soil density, how visible/well known a spot is, etc. Lots of variables. However, think over those 3 Evils and you see what you're up against. It'll all make sense Big Grin

Joe
The TDI doesn't have any depth reading.  Any shallow metal will overload no matter how you set it.  Even a coin at 3-4" will overload.  Then if you raise the coil and get a nice smooth tone it is probably either a coin or screwcap.  That wheatie wasn't an overload.  It was in the 6-8 inch range.  
Does your detector have an Fe meter to measure mineralization?  I ask because the last time I went to this park with the T2 I kept checking that reading and it was consistently a solid 1.  That's the second highest reading.  I looked in the manual and it says 1 is not uncommon in GOLDFIELDS.  I'm not anywhere near a gold field, so this ground is bad.  You think any detector would consistently find coins deeper than 8"?
(07-20-2014 10:00 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]The TDI doesn't have any depth reading.  Any shallow metal will overload no matter how you set it.  Even a coin at 3-4" will overload.  Then if you raise the coil and get a nice smooth tone it is probably either a coin or screwcap.  That wheatie wasn't an overload.  It was in the 6-8 inch range.  
Does your detector have an Fe meter to measure mineralization?  I ask because the last time I went to this park with the T2 I kept checking that reading and it was consistently a solid 1.  That's the second highest reading.  I looked in the manual and it says 1 is not uncommon in GOLDFIELDS.  I'm not anywhere near a gold field, so this ground is bad.  You think any detector would consistently find coins deeper than 8"?

I can only speak on detectors I've used before, and yes, they were all pretty decent in the depth department. Used a MXT 300 for a few years, an F75, a CZ3D and an Omega, plus numerous others. However, none come even close to Minelab in my dirt. Additionally, that's why you guys always hear me harping about hunting in all metal. I want every single advantage I can in the field, ANY. If going all metal gets me an extra half inch, I want that.

My detector doesn't have a Fe meter, but, not needed. I KNOW the ground is not the best here, which is another reason the Minelab works well for me. The multiple frequencies are tailor made for bad dirt.

Will, I think you're smart using the TDI. It's an all metal machine. Yes, you have to dig through a little more junk, however, you should be able to get a LOT more depth than we can, and again, I believe that to being the key to finding the older coinage.

Joe
I think I need to put the big 12" coil back on the TDI.  I will get more depth, but will be digging less holes because I will be digging DEEP holes.
You didn't get good depth with the CZ?  Do you think a lower freq or higher freq gets through the minerals better?
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's