Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Change of Luck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday was NOT a good day No I think I used up all my good luck for the month after finding my detector at that spot I forgot it at.

As y'all know, my lesche broke in two. I have another coming this Tuesday (I'll put up a special post about that, as it's a cool story), so, I only needed a digger for yesterday - one hunt. Obviously, didn't want to spend $$$ if I don't have to, as my new lesche is coming tomorrow. Decided to hit a dollar store and buy 2 cheapos. Surely, they'd last one hunt, yes?

NO!!! The first one bent after about the 4th plug! The place was all filled in too, so, figured I'd go to an old standby place where the soil is always moist, since it's like a small basin that collects the rain. The soil is exactly like digging through a wet clay. Surely, the second digger can withstand that softer type of soil, yes?

NO!!! The handle snaps off the second digger within about a half hour. Now...

I have two choices, go home, or try and improvise. Turned on my inner Macguyver, and decided I could still cut plugs by using the digger with the broken handle, provided I was light with my touch. Well, it worked, however, imagine cutting plugs and then digging through roots, rocks & heavy wet soil using only a digger with a tiny nub on the end! Told you I'm addicted, any normal person would've went home!!! Tongue Add to all this...

I put new batteries in my Safari, and it wouldn't start up. Tried two times. I spun the batteries around in the battery pack, as sometimes if they're not seated right, it can affect the detector's operation. Finally, the machine came on, but, I only had one bar left on my battery indicator, and I just put them in! Spun the batteries yet again, and this time it did the trick.

All things considered, especially the blazing heat, it wasn't a bad little hunt. I found another one of those old bullets I just can't seem to I.D. Some of you might remember I found one last year, too. Anywho...

Can't wait until the new lesche arrives Tuesday. I'll be waiting for Mr. McFeely right at my doorstep Happy

Joe
Got the digging tool blues myself Joe. Went out and bought a Fiskars to carry me over but it's going to the wife shortly. May as well get a hammer and a chisel with it. Ordered the Nisaku Hori, Hori last week as well as the Treasure Wise which I broke and the Leusch. Here's pics of the Nisaku and the Fiskars. So when I get all three of the above together I'm going to give a review. Although I suspect that each has a role for different soil types. One thing for sure, I'll never be without a backup digger.

Nothing but a pile of clad again today but where I was that's all I expected.

Nice Merc and IH! Got me on the bullet, although it could be a shotgun slug but a real small gauge. That one with the rings looks like a rifled .38 round nose that's been smashed from impact. Find a lot of them around here. Sometimes the cops would fire their revolvers into the ground to stop a fleeing suspect.

Ed
(07-21-2014 07:47 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Ordered the Nisaku Hori, Hori last week

Ed, you have to ease up, you're a married man. If I may ask, what did she set you back per hour?

Nice blades!!! What did we do to piss the digger gods off, amigo?!?!

Joe
Yep--nothing better than a Lesche !

But your luck wasn't too bad--you still got out!
(07-21-2014 08:03 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-21-2014 07:47 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Ordered the Nisaku Hori, Hori last week

Ed, you have to ease up, you're a married man. If I may ask, what did she set you back per hour?

Nice blades!!! What did we do to piss the digger gods off, amigo?!?!

Joe

Joe, I'm still at $2 per hour in regular fields at the parks, but today I hit the registration area at the soccer fields after a big tourney this past weekend, and if I would of stayed, probably about $6 per hour. If that's what you mean???? The old woman is pretty self sustaining although I do keep her satiated with chores, walking the dog and curtains and all that domestic smile and talk quietly crap, (whoops...stuff). Uh... you don't work for the IRS do you? Laughing I watch Boardwalk Empire too!

Honestly, I'm tired of "cheaping" out on equipment. I never did that in the masonry business. Some tools I had were worth their weight in GOLD for production on a job. This pretty much is the same thing, although a "Very Serious!" hobby. The way you're digging over there, you need a skid steer and a drill or a two man hole hog. When we use a tool continually beyond it's capacity, the digger gods get really pissed and show us a lesson that we'll never forget. SwearSwear

Ed
Nice digger Joe.  Hey Ed, I have a Hori Hori too.  It's a SunJoe.  Built like a tank.  Look what I used before the Hori Hori.  A lot like Joe's.
Joe, use a Micrometer to find out the Gauge of the bullet. Our friendly Harbor freight sells them.
(07-22-2014 12:54 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Nice digger Joe.  Hey Ed, I have a Hori Hori too.  It's a SunJoe.  Built like a tank.  Look what I used before the Hori Hori.  A lot like Joe's.

WIll, I had that Hori, Hori out today but did three wraps on the handle with electricians rubber tape to give me a better grip. HOLY CRAP, that thing cuts through dirt and roots like a chainsaw. I always wanted one and now I'm glad I bought it.

Ed
(07-22-2014 08:54 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2014 12:54 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Nice digger Joe.  Hey Ed, I have a Hori Hori too.  It's a SunJoe.  Built like a tank.  Look what I used before the Hori Hori.  A lot like Joe's.

WIll, I had that Hori, Hori out today but did three wraps on the handle with electricians rubber tape to give me a better grip. HOLY CRAP, that thing cuts through dirt and roots like a chainsaw. I always wanted one and now I'm glad I bought it.

Ed

Yep they are good diggers.  You can see a nick in the blade on mine.  That is from using it to break a rock to see why it was making my detector go off.  It was slag inside concrete.  I don't recommend breaking rocks with it.
[/quote]

Yep they are good diggers.  You can see a nick in the blade on mine.  That is from using it to break a rock to see why it was making my detector go off.  It was slag inside concrete.  I don't recommend breaking rocks with it.
[/quote]

Will,

Here's the rubber wrap on the digger! They have a new one as well with a polycarbonate handle that looks like the Treasure Wise but the photos kind of steered me away from the plastic version. Although I don't own one so I can't really say. Wood is good in my opinion, but I was worried about jamming the knife in hard into the ground and my hand slipping off and getting myself cut. You know when you first get one of these Hori, Hori digging knives, they could really cut up a roast with ease, I just didn't want to be the first roast it cut up, ergo, the rubber tape.

Ed
Reference URL's