Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: A relic makes the day worth it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Went out to a couple spots today including that property where the 1849 house once was that I made a post about yesterday. Didnt find a whole lot... but the house did produce a 1927 wheat and 1920 merc, which were my oldest coins, but the Merc is too worn to post. My best find of the day is actually a relic. Its a GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) Veterans Medal that was given to Civil War Vets. When looking at them online there was a ribbon and clasp that went to it, but i only found the Medal. I don't know how to date it, so if anyone can help on that end that would be cool, but its still a sweet find nonetheless. Hope you enjoy

And i found the Identification number!!! Its V 1602 I believe. Its kinda hard to see on mine
Epic find dude.
Check the rim of the badge (edge of star) for an etched number)
In theory you could track down which soldier it was issued to!

The GAR medal, introduced in 1869, is described in detail in the following excerpt from the Anoka Union newspaper, Dec. 21, 1887:

“The badge of this great fraternity is itself a souvenir of the field and is destined to become a memento to be cherished in thousands of American homes as a priceless heirloom.

“Each Grand Army badge is made of metal from cannon taken from the foe in actual battle on some of the decisive fields of the war.
(How badass is that?!!!)

“The design of the badge, in use since 1869, is one that commemorates the great struggle in many ways.
“The pendant of the badge is a fine pointed star, like the Medal of Honor granted by Congress, and is made of cannon bronze.
“The face of the medal has the Goddess of Liberty in the center, representing loyalty, and on either side stands a soldier and a sailor clasping hands in front of the Goddess to represent fraternity.
“Two children are kneeling in the foreground to receive a benediction and the assurance of protection from comrades. This is the symbol of charity.
“On each side of this center group are the flag and eagle representing freedom and an ax and a bundle of rods for union.
“In the star points are the emblems of different arms of service, bugle for infantry, cannon for artillery, muskets for marines, swords for cavalry, and an anchor for sailors.
“Surrounding the center is the legend, ‘Grand Army of the Republic, 1861 – Veteran -1866,’the later date commemorating the close of the war and the founding of the order.
“On the reverse side is a laurel branch for victory, and the national shield surrounded by the different corps badges, each on a keystone showing that they are united and will protect the union.
“The clasp of the badge is an eagle with crossed cannons and ammunition, representing defense.
“The clasp and medal are united by the national flag, which is the ribbon of the order.”
The article goes on to lament the “abuse of the medal by unprincipled men.”
Genuine medals were given only to bona fide members of the GAR, and were not to be sold or replicated.
The medals were worn on occasions of any GAR meeting or any patriotic ceremony, especially when a veteran wanted to be identified as such to the public.
(07-24-2014 07:12 PM)micahmoore Wrote: [ -> ]Epic find dude.
Check the rim of the badge (edge of star) for an etched number)
In theory you could track down which soldier it was issued to!

The GAR medal, introduced in 1869, is described in detail in the following excerpt from the Anoka Union newspaper, Dec. 21, 1887:

“The badge of this great fraternity is itself a souvenir of the field and is destined to become a memento to be cherished in thousands of American homes as a priceless heirloom.

“Each Grand Army badge is made of metal from cannon taken from the foe in actual battle on some of the decisive fields of the war.
(How badass is that?!!!)

“The design of the badge, in use since 1869, is one that commemorates the great struggle in many ways.
“The pendant of the badge is a fine pointed star, like the Medal of Honor granted by Congress, and is made of cannon bronze.
“The face of the medal has the Goddess of Liberty in the center, representing loyalty, and on either side stands a soldier and a sailor clasping hands in front of the Goddess to represent fraternity.
“Two children are kneeling in the foreground to receive a benediction and the assurance of protection from comrades. This is the symbol of charity.
“On each side of this center group are the flag and eagle representing freedom and an ax and a bundle of rods for union.
“In the star points are the emblems of different arms of service, bugle for infantry, cannon for artillery, muskets for marines, swords for cavalry, and an anchor for sailors.
“Surrounding the center is the legend, ‘Grand Army of the Republic, 1861 – Veteran -1866,’the later date commemorating the close of the war and the founding of the order.
“On the reverse side is a laurel branch for victory, and the national shield surrounded by the different corps badges, each on a keystone showing that they are united and will protect the union.
“The clasp of the badge is an eagle with crossed cannons and ammunition, representing defense.
“The clasp and medal are united by the national flag, which is the ribbon of the order.”
The article goes on to lament the “abuse of the medal by unprincipled men.”
Genuine medals were given only to bona fide members of the GAR, and were not to be sold or replicated.
The medals were worn on occasions of any GAR meeting or any patriotic ceremony, especially when a veteran wanted to be identified as such to the public.

Thanks for the response. It is pretty sweet that its made of cannon bronze. I can't seem to find any etchings on it though. Do you mean the rim at the edge of one of the stars?
That is a SPECTACULAR find, and a MAJOR piece of history!!!!!!!!!! I'm adding that to the banner Yes Beer Party Dancing

Amazing. Terrific. Truly a stunning find!!!

Can't stop staring at it!!!

Joe
(07-24-2014 07:43 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]That is a SPECTACULAR find, and a MAJOR piece of history!!!!!!!!!! I'm adding that to the banner Yes Beer Party Dancing

Amazing. Terrific. Truly a stunning find!!!

Can't stop staring at it!!!

Joe

Thanks Joe! I didn't realize how significant it is. But I do know it is a great part of history. I've never made banner before, it means a lot
That is one killer piece of history.Congrats!
As far as I know it doesn't have an etching like that on it
yea not all listed have them but worth checking
(07-24-2014 08:14 PM)micahmoore Wrote: [ -> ]yea not all listed have them but worth checking

I found it! I put the pic on the original post. I was able to clean it up a tiny bit more. Still don't know how to date it off that though
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's