Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I'm in Penny Heaven?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last two days about 3 hours each, lots of stuff not posted here but filled a 3# coffee can and still some left in the Sling Bin. 5 wheats total but might have swung past a couple and the end of the hunt because i was beat. No silver. Couple of real good signals "Like" silver, but just a couple of cut nails, the spoon end of a what must of been a silver plate spoon (not in photo) and a whole bunch of automotive, tractor and bicycle parts.

At the end of the day I went to an old homestead site at the park which existed until about the 1930's and is shown on 1874 thru maps but has been gone for some time. Near the end of that search I put the SE Pro on Deep recovery in a bunch of real old trees up on the hill behind where the actual site was and I started getting deep silver signals all within about a 12 x 12 foot area. They were very faint and very hard to target as the three 12" deep holes I dug in three signal strong locations yielded only that hook thingy but nothing on the pin pointer in the other two and I was frankly pretty beat so I gave it up for the evening at about 7:30 pm. One thing I noticed about that area, there were literally no other trash signals, not screw caps, pull tabs or can slaw. The nulling was minimal. I'm going back with a bigger digger.

Enjoy and GL & HH to all this weekend!!

Ed
Love that Sunoco token, Ed!!! Cool beans Yes Ya know...

Keep digging those faint signals, as they DO produce great keepers! Not every one is going to be a winner however. I would say out of every 10 faint tones I dig, maybe half are coins, with the rest being phantom holes (normally deep iron) or junk. One of the key tricks I've learned is...

Even if it's a faint whisper signal, it should still be fairly repeatable as you circle around the target, hitting it from all directions. If the #'s bounce too much, or the iron grunt tone keeps chirping up, it's probably going to be trash. For example...

On my Safari, surface silver normally rings up at about 38. If I'm getting a whisper at 10 or 11", but it's only hitting 24, 28, 22, 30 on different sweeps from different angles, THAT'S A COIN! The lower numbers are because of the extreme depth, yet, they are still somewhat high for such a deep signal...that's the key. They also have to be repeatable from different angles. If I am getting a whisper hitting at 30 in one direction, 8 in another, -8 in another, etc., there's a higher likelihood this is junk. Difficult to explain in words, you need to dig a lot of them to know the 'feel'.

Hope that helps Happy

Joe
Thanks for the advice Joe,

The SE on deep you have to move real slow with the swing. The numbers for me on my digital are not single digits, but Co Fe related. These signals I had could very well have been deep iron as it's a fooler for sure. The tone was there though and that makes me suspect that it "could" be silver. Being I had dug 3 holes with only one object to show, I kinda said the hell with it until another time. Reason being is they were all over in that ~ 12 x 12 spot. I mean I could move the coil 1 foot away and pow, there's another one. I've run into this before with clumps of trees. Hunters sometimes would go out into the woods and build makeshift tree stands with nails and scrap lumber. After years of non-use and mother nature, the tree stands would fall down and bring the nails with them. The wood rots away and the iron cut nails, made of iron, not steel, as they used in those days, slowly rusts. I've found two such trees in 2 different wooded locations where the bases and surrounding areas are littered with cut nails in the middle of nowhere. Although this area I'm searching is not wooded now, it could have been 100 years ago and these trees are fairly large, at least 4 to 5 feet in diameter. You never know though. That's why I have to dig.

The puzzle though is no trash signals. I mean it's very near a picnic area and everywhere outside that spot is trashy. So one has to figure that I'm not the first person there. But did they give up because they had the grunts on their older machines or could they not read that deep. It feels like the area has been "Cleaned out.", but only to a certain depth. This makes me suspect that some of this stuff isn't iron and nobodies gotten there with an etrac or CTX yet. So I think it's time to drag out the 12x10 and push the sensitivity to the limit. I think I've got something here.

Ed
Reference URL's