Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: My First BIG Silver!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

utahdesertrat

Found me an 1878 Morgan Dollar a couple weeks ago. Pics before/after cleaning. Looks to have suffered some damage in a fire at some point, the surrounding soil contained lots of ash.
Super Nice find. Big silver is always fun to find these days!!!!
Rat!

Son of a bitch, GREAT FIND Bro!!! Is that an S mint mark. Holy Crap. That's gotta be one heart stopper for sure. Who the hell would throw a Morgan in a fire pit? Musta been pretty drunk for that. Great post and nice photos!! Details, details!! We're drooling!!!

Ed

utahdesertrat

Should've clarified. This was found in Salt Lake City near a building that may have burned, or on a site that an old building burned years ago. And yes, it's an "S" mint mark. And yes, my heart dropped when I found it. Nearly blew my ears out & when I first saw it I thought it was a big knock out from an electrical box. HA!
My lord, I honestly think I'd have a heart attack digging a Morgan. It's tough enough finding silver quarters, dollars are damn near impossible nowadays!!! That is a STRIKING find Yes Cleaned up beautifully, too Wink

Beer Dancing Party

Helluva way to get your first big silver, CONGRATS!!!

Joe
Wow ... what a find.
always nice to pluck some silver out the dirt. 
great job ...
Too bookoo.  That's beautiful.
Still a great find! Can't go wrong with that
Desertrat is being modest.  He kicked some ass that day.  The best part of the story is when we were driving to our spot that night he was saying he'd never found a half or any big silver.  First spot we hit I found a 2007 dime, he found a 42 Merc.  Next spot was a spot that was maybe 4x50 feet.  I walked the sidewalk half, he took the curbside.  2 steps in and he hit that Morgan.  It was pretty late and we both thought it was a Barber half.  I found a 1977 dime.  Not more than 10 minutes later Desertrat found a toasty Buffalo.  

I believe I was being punished for finding that Gold dollar the week before.  Desertrat was with me then and didn't fair as well that day.  It was my turn to watch him dig some great stuff.
(07-30-2014 11:40 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]Desertrat is being modest.  He kicked some ass that day.  The best part of the story is when we were driving to our spot that night he was saying he'd never found a half or any big silver.  First spot we hit I found a 2007 dime, he found a 42 Merc.  Next spot was a spot that was maybe 4x50 feet.  I walked the sidewalk half, he took the curbside.  2 steps in and he hit that Morgan.  It was pretty late and we both thought it was a Barber half.  I found a 1977 dime.  Not more than 10 minutes later Desertrat found a toasty Buffalo.  

I believe I was being punished for finding that Gold dollar the week before.  Desertrat was with me then and didn't fair as well that day.  It was my turn to watch him dig some great stuff.

SLC,

And as I say:

"It is what it is!"

OR

On some days, you get the Bear, on other days, the Bear gets you!

HH there SLC and Desert!

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's