Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: The Silver Gods are Toying with Me!!!!!!!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What a day, what a hunt! Went out with a guy I always see swinging at one of the parks I frequent. I picked him up at 7:30 with some Dunkin Donuts in hand, then we headed to an old park I've pulled silver from before, in the scary part of town Sweating 

Got my gear on, take a swig of my coffee, light a cigarette, and turn my Safari on. All I heard was the sound of crickets through my headphones...dead silence...but I see the machine is on and the unit powered up fine. Check to make sure my headphone jack is in all the way, and I notice the adapter for the jack snapped in two Angry Chuck my headphones aside, and already not happy cause I gotta hunt 'naked' with no phones. Took me a couple of minutes to adjust, and dug a piece of clad or two in that time. Then, I hear a real nice mid tone, with high VDI at about 4". Dig the plug & out pops a 1900 Indian. Couple minutes later, I get a decent signal, possible penny/silver range, but really choppy. Decided to dig it & up comes a 1936 merc...kind of (see in the pics below) Headbang

I then meandered over to a large open grassy area where I pulled 3 or 4 mercs a couple of years back, and then the fun began...I was in memorial penny hell for about an hour Devil Shallow, deep, high signals, low signals, didn't matter, it was either junk, or, you guessed it...a freakin memorial, lol. To make my day even more fun & rainbows, all these cars starting pulling up and parking 30 or 40 yards away from where I was hunting. They were getting set-up for one of those big 'urban' barbecues. You know the type I'm talking about...rap music blaring, guys playing dominos & slamming back cheap beer & enough fried food to kill an elephant. So...

Walked maybe 100 yards away, close to where I dug the Indian, and decide to try that spot, as one of my old hunting buddies pulled a large cent from there. Hit that section HARD for about 2 hours, and I must've found 6 or 7 wheats...but no silver Sad I then tried some wooded sections, but, WAY to trashy. It was about 90 out with sky high humidity, so, I was baked at this point. Went back to the main section & bopped around some more, finding yet more wheats, when I got a nice silver signal. Dig halfway down to China & pull out the round thing with the holes in the picture. Haven't a clue what it is, but, I'm guessing some sort of sprinkler head/cover. Only thing is, there's no part that looks like it would attach to anything. It has a nice green patina & appears to be from the 40's or 50's.
Anyone have any idea?

By now, both me and my buddy are wiped, so, I drop him off back at his house. But, he happens to live 2 blocks from one of the oldest parks in NJ, a place I swing at often, so, not getting my full fix for the day, and feeling refreshed from the car a/c, I decide to give it an hour. Dug a ton of signals! Ground was nice & moist from the buckets of rain we've had & I was running in all metal. Snagged another Indian - a 1902, but, the obverse side is toasted. Then decided to call it a day. Ended up with the 2 Indians, the 36 merc (kinda, sorta), 11 wheats, that mystery relic, some clad (including 4 or 5 dimes and quarters from 1965 or 1966, just missed it!) Angry

Yes, the silver gods ARE toying with me...for sure!!! Anyways, it was a BLAST getting out today! I'm hitting the dirt again Saturday. I'll report for duty on my finds then. Hope you're having a great 4th!!!

Joe
Well , you can throw that Merc in the midwest scrap pile..too bad, it would have been a high grade. I think your mystery item is the strainer that goes in the bottom of the shower .
(07-04-2013 05:03 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Well , you can throw that Merc in the midwest scrap pile..too bad, it would have been a high grade. I think your mystery item is the strainer that goes in the bottom of the shower .

Man, I've heard of getting a little silver,but dang, that's a little silver, congrats on the indian.
Alright luv the lawn mower Merc Joe we dig them frequently over here in SoCal parks and any other chopped coin denominations for that matter . It's still silver bud and that counts . Now if your really determined Joe you will go back to the same spot and find the other half . It's gotta be close in the area of where you found this one . Muscle Killer on the Injuns and wheaties any old wheat dates in the mix there ? Cool Great hunt Joe time for a cold one you earned it ! Beer
HH
Mike
Sliver Silver is still Silver!!

Indians are a kick to dig!!  Congrats!

Too hot out here but maybe a night hunt his weekend.
Reference URL's