Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: New here and new to the hobby
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all! 

As the title suggests I am new here and brand new to the hobby. My name is Jon, I live in North Bend, WA and I am a former Army Ranger. I got a detector for my birthday a few months ago, and prior to that I had never even so much as picked up a metal detector.  As a super novice I got a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver detector, and so far it seems to be doing really well for me...super simple to use and gets pretty good depth. I dug a test garden in my front yard and was able to pick up a standing liberty quarter down at about 8 inches or so.  My lovely wife just ordered me a garrett pro pointer which will be here in a few days so I'm super stoked about that! Anyhow, this is becoming long-winded so I will end this intro lol. Glad to be here and hope to share some treasures (but most likely junk) with you guys soon!!! 

Jon
Welcome to our community...and to the hobby! Not so sure you finding a big silver so fast is a good thing. Now you're going to be hooked!!! Lol. We look forward to seeing your finds, but, don't be afraid to ask questions if you need some guidance, too, as that's what we 're here for Yes

Joe
Welcome aboard.  main thing to remember is to enjoy yourself. detecting is supposed to be something you enjoy, not a job, so don`t get discouraged if the major finds don`t jump out at you right away, in time they will. you will be amazed at what is right under your feet and has been all this time. take some time to learn your machine, in the beginning dig every signal, you will find more junk but you will learn what your machine is telling you after a little time doing that you will be better able to determine a good target from junk and therefore dig less junk . the bounty hunter should get you going just fine, i have actually made some amazing finds with my old BH3300 she`s back up to my new toy now, but she served me very well.
and the Garrett Pro Pointer is going to make things so much easier .

so get out there swing it low and slow and have some fun,  there`s a great group of guy`s here with a wealth of info and tips, so don`t be afraid to ask any questions. we all love detecting, and love to assist anyone new to the hobby. 

best of luck on your future hunts, look forward to seeing your finds.

BONES ...
(08-07-2014 07:07 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to our community...and to the hobby! Not so sure you finding a big silver so fast is a good thing. Now you're going to be hooked!!! Lol. We look forward to seeing your finds, but, don't be afraid to ask questions if you need some guidance, too, as that's what we 're here for Yes

Joe

LOL I suppose I should have clarified a bit...I buried the standing liberty quarter myself (at various depths, and even with a rusty nail thrown in the hole) so that I could test the limits of my machine. I have no idea where I actually got the big silver from, I just remember one day putting my pocket change into our piggy bank and I saw it.  So far I have only found a few dollars worth of clad, a ton of rusty nails, and a cheap made in China spoon....but I loved digging up every single one. When I get a good signal on the detector and I go to dig, my mind goes wild because you just don't know what's down there! It could be anything!!!  Thanks for the warm welcome! I think I'm gonna like it here.

-Jon
Welcome to the forum from Pittsburgh PA.  Sounds like you got the detecting bug pretty good already.
Jon,

Welcome to the forum from NE Ohio! Your approach to detecting is the right way to learn a machine. Eventually you and the machine will be one tool and better finds will start to multiply. All of us who've been detecting for a while have something to learn with each trip and you'll find that's true over time. Good luck and glad to see you on board!!

Ed
Welcome from Northern New Jersey Jon!!
RJYes
Welcome! Being a Ranger,Im guessing you like adventure. Research and look at topo maps,and hit those places others wont go. Thanks for your service!
Welcome to the site Jon, and to the hobby also it will be a lot of fun I like finding the old stuff. You never know what you are going to dig.
Steve from Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum and to the hobby, from Southern Ontario Canada
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's