Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 1500`s Spanish VIII Maravedis counter stamped XII Maravedis 1600`s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Spanish 1500`s VIII Maravedis cob counter stamped XII Maravedis cob in the 1600`s

The XII punch, is a countermark applied to the coin after minting. Since there is no 12 maravedis countermark known from Philip III, the coin must have been countermarked later, during the reign of Philip IV, where inflation had deprecated the value of the maravedis so much that a coin worth 4 maravedis in 1599 was now worth 12 maravedis. The XII countermark of Philip IV is known from 1636 and 1641-42. 

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?ma..._ww_id=270

[attachment=2719]
bones u seem to pull out the neatest stuff how do u sleep at nite thinking of what eles you mite find
Same coin i posted yesterday, just trying to get some opinions on what it might be.
it appears to be the
Spanish VIII Maravedis counter stamped XII  Maravedis cob  
OK Bones--here is your answer.  Happy  Not the answer you are looking for as far as value goes, but it is the answer.  But it is still a fantastic find and priceless to the finder because not many can say they have found a coin the the US that dates to the Mid 1600's

When you found this, I too was curious as to what it was and  researched it a bit and came to the same conclusion you did about it being a maravedi. I took the liberty to contact a Spanish coin expert on your behalf.  Hope you don't mind.  He just got back to me. Check out his website as well.

Here is my email to him and his response.

On 8/6/2014 8:56 PM, Ron Swenson wrote:

A friend on a forum found this coin metal detecting.  I was just wondering if you might have an idea of its origin.  I thought it might be a Spanish maravedi. 

Thank you for your time.

Ron Swenson

From: Dan Sedwick [mailto:sedwickcoins@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2014 6:32 PM
To: Ron Swenson
Subject: Re: Possible Spanish coin

Yes, that is what it is... a very worn one! Those numbers VIII and XII are actually countermarks from when these coins were upgraded in value in the mid-1600s.

Daniel Frank SedwickPresident/owner
Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLCP.O. Box 1964 | Winter Park, FL 32790
email: info@sedwickcoins.com
web: www.sedwickcoins.com
telephone: 407.975.3325

Good Info Ron. Thanks for the link!!!

Ed
Bones, that is an absolutely STUNNING find, and an important window into out nations history! God only knows what else is lying beneath the soil at that spot of yours!!!

Congrats on verification of 1600's timeframe Yes

Joe
Wow, Thank you Ron(CA) for the help.  and, I  don`t mind at all your seeking further help for me from other sources, thank you very much for taking the time to do that for me .that is an amazing find in my books. value really don`t even play into the equation . it will never leave my collection anyway.  to me it is priceless.  

Thank you again  Happy 
just got up and you have already made my day ....
(08-08-2014 06:52 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Spanish VIII Maravedis cob counter stamped XII Maravedis cob

The XII punch, is a countermark applied to the coin after minting. Since there is no 12 maravedis countermark known from Philip III, the coin must have been countermarked later, during the reign of Philip IV, where inflation had deprecated the value of the maravedis so much that a coin worth 4 maravedis in 1599 was now worth 12 maravedis. The XII countermark of Philip IV is known from 1636 and 1641-42. 

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?ma..._ww_id=270

i think yours are VII not VIII because mine was VII
i got it from a local dealer from the my country philippines , and im about to sell it as soon as i got a bit info about this coin
NIce coin!
Interesting coin you have,
mine was dug around 10 inches deep in NE FL
Reference URL's