Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: few odd digs.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
pulled up a tiny flat button, on the back it reads " plated " . no shank .
odd brass.
a handful of British slip ware and shell Edged pearl ware ( colonial pottery ) 
and what looks to be a piece of mercury glass from an old  bottle.
also pulled up a tiny buckle or hinge pin and a couple pieces of another brass thimble, this makes the 3rd brass thimble from this area ..

[attachment=2733][attachment=2734][attachment=2735][attachment=2736][attachment=2737][attachment=2738][attachment=2739][attachment=2740][attachment=2741]
(08-10-2014 04:07 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Nice digs, Bones. What the roundish thing with the two holes? There appears to be some lettering on the button. I can't exactly make it out. I'll try blowing the photo up.

Joe

the tiny button reads   " plated "
not sure what the oval object with the holes is, some kind of brass plate of something. it is pretty thick, hand beat and drilled.
it`s the Graphite pencil things that have me thinking, they ring under the pointer. ?
(08-10-2014 11:02 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2014 07:39 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Well BONES, I had this thought before but never mentioned it. It could be they are cathode centers for batteries, which would mean that at some point somebody ditched some old worn out batteries there and all that's left is the core and portions of the surrounding anode material. The material you may be picking up is zinc as it was used in combination with certain alkaline chemicals to produce electricity in the battery. Essentially a one use capacitor. But those other carbon/graphite rods you found are definitely graphite pencils. Curious though, do those other graphite pencils ring in with the Pin Pointer?

Ed

Best explanation I have seen so far.  Makes a lot of sense to me.  Those "pencils" seem to be too "machined" for colonial slate pencils.

just my opinion though.

I do agree. i was unsure, and today by mistake ran the pointer near them and got a signal. so decided to repost and see what others thought.
the ends are extremely clean cut as if machined. i do believe Ed is right.
Reference URL's