Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: WOW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Saw this posted over on Dan's forum.
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-silver-coi...40996.html
What a bunch of BULLSHIT ... the city took it all.
who was the dipshit that called the news or the city in the first place ...
It was city workers who found it.
In the article, it says they weren't allowed to keep them since they're considered "city property", so, the same would probably happen if we, as detectorists, found them...which is pure bunk. I could understand if the house was still owned by an individual, that would make sense, as it would then be theirs to keep, however, only the bank owns the house now, since it must've been repossessed. Therefore, who is the city to say, "They're ours!". Another bunch of crooks No

Joe
They did say the recent previous owner racked up $515,000 in property liens to the city so the city does have a legitimate right to the find as their lien rights forgo any bank foreclosure, or, in other words, they get paid first. The bank probably knew this and rather than settle up with the city just turned over the deed to them and called it a day.

The interesting thing is the coins were found during the demo. What if they were not found and buried over and some astute detectorist came along years later and found them? This is where loose lips sink ships when you're a detectorist. Say you found 20 coins one day, 30 the next, 50 the next day. What would you do? This is an interesting ethical question in our hobby. Personally, I'd shit my pants and then report it to the proper authorities like the demo crew did.

As the employees of the demo crew discovered them and reported it to the city, that was the correct move. As most cities don't have there own demo crews and hire subs to get stuff like that done. (It's cheaper than watching six guys holding shovels waiting for the house to fall over.)

In the end, unless there are some real keepers in that cache, the city is still out some bucks and whose going to pay for it? Why the taxpayer, of course. Little old you and me. (The people of Orlando) Personally, I would have hoped they were Gold Eagles of various denominations, that way maybe, just maybe, the city would at least break even.

Ed
Your a better man than me, i would have been leaving the demo site with a big shit eating grin and 60 lbs heavier , pants dragging around my knees. 
the story states that the police chief has the coins, most cops are the biggest bunch of law breaking crooks out there. 
the way i see it, the city wanted the house destroyed, and all remains likely removed from the property and dumped. all the wood, all the nails, all the glass, and anything else to do with the home and leave a clean site. whoever`s job it was to remove the debris from the site i feel they would have claim to the coins not the city. it was there job to remove EVERYTHING as TRASH ... the home was of no value to city or its contents.

bunch of crooks.
(08-11-2014 09:18 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]They did say the recent previous owner racked up $515,000 in property liens to the city so the city does have a legitimate right to the find as their lien rights forgo any bank foreclosure, or, in other words, they get paid first. The bank probably knew this and rather than settle up with the city just turned over the deed to them and called it a day.

The interesting thing is the coins were found during the demo. What if they were not found and buried over and some astute detectorist came along years later and found them? This is where loose lips sink ships when you're a detectorist. Say you found 20 coins one day, 30 the next, 50 the next day. What would you do? This is an interesting ethical question in our hobby. Personally, I'd shit my pants and then report it to the proper authorities like the demo crew did.

As the employees of the demo crew discovered them and reported it to the city, that was the correct move. As most cities don't have there own demo crews and hire subs to get stuff like that done. (It's cheaper than watching six guys holding shovels waiting for the house to fall over.)

In the end, unless there are some real keepers in that cache, the city is still out some bucks and whose going to pay for it? Why the taxpayer, of course. Little old you and me. (The people of Orlando) Personally, I would have hoped they were Gold Eagles of various denominations, that way maybe, just maybe, the city would at least break even.

Ed

As long as the city didn't have any rules against detecting their property I don't know why you couldn't keep the coins?  What if you just stopped at 3 coins per hunt per week?  Those would be some great hunts and you probably wouldn't mind keeping them?  I'm waiting for a site like that to figure out what I would do?  If I had to guess I would be building a nice display case.........
BONES!!! I like that shit eating grin part. Woo wee got you worked up. I have to agree that some cops are pukes. But, you can't fight city hall as the saying goes. I would think that the demo company would be at least entitled to a finders fee for the effort of honesty on their part. Realistically the only way they could have kept them would have been to keep it quiet and do a split amongst employees on site to make everybody happy and ease the possibility of anybody talking. And that would work a lot better because what the heck do you do with 60#'s of silver except sit on it for a decade or cash it in bit by bit. I mean generally the cities around here don't really care if you find 5 or 20 silvers laying around in tree lawns or in parks. They look at it like it wasn't theirs to begin with and can't be bothered chasing detectorists for inventory. But Jesus, 2000 coins is a flipping horde. It's akin to a lost inheritance. Even though the city owns the property, I'll bet that heirs of the previous owner will start voicing some thoughts about this real soon. All that shit is public record and I'll take bets that freelance lawyers are on the case already!!! Then the city will be in a shit storm. Which most cities are in anyway. When greed takes over, trouble follows...

Also as a footnote to your statement about trash removal, that's an interesting point. Alot of building demo that I've seen in my 30 years in the masonry trade involved contract reclamation of "all scrap on site" by the contractor. They could argue that point if it's in their contract with the city. Junk silver is still scrap by definition.

IMHO

Love ya BONES!!!! (No Gay)

Ed
Screw the government,what did they do to earn the coins?Besides rape some dude with a half million in liens. I hate politicians.
Reference URL's