Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Etrac yard test. nice shiny hand forged nail - key .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
first hand forged nail i have pulled up looking like it was beat yesterday.
normally they pop out embedded in a ball of rust.
pulled up a small key to something, no marks.
and another rolled up piece of copper .
few other pieces of junk.

as stated i was just running a yard test so nothing special.

[attachment=2774][attachment=2775][attachment=2776][attachment=2777][attachment=2778]
i used to attend my daughters school career day, and do a demo on locksmith service and work, and allow the kids to cut a key. they loved it. i believe introducing the detector into a history class and turning the class into a hands on digging, retrieving, and researching event, would really spark the minds of many of the children. like you say, learning from a book is one thing, but to get out, hands on and dig up history, get to hold it, and enjoy the thrill of discovering through research what you have found, and then do a report or class lesson on the finds. that is real learning.
and at the same time give a new understanding of the importance and role metal detecting plays and has played over the years in the discovery of many of our greatest historical finds and treasures.
bottom line ... a metal detector is a tool used for recovering lost history .
and it`s use and role should be addressed in our schools history classes .

but sadly the historians who write our history books often see detectorists as historical thieves. and conveniently leave the one tool capable of recovering many lost historical locations and artefacts out of the books ...
you see pictures of archaeologists digging, and brushing. but i do not recall ever seeing a metal detector in any history book ever .
Reference URL's