Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 4 colonial era buttons, and 1 sweet great seal button .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
pulled up all 5 buttons in a 20x20 foot area ... button description in order left to right.

Great seal button ( THE AUSTIN CO PROVIDENCE R I ) on back .
barley nicked it on the top right, kinda upset about that, but still cool to pull up. ( about the size of a US quarter . )
the 2nd button to the right is a flat button, the back reads ( BEST QUALITY ).
The 3rd big flat button appears to be silver gilt, nothing on reverse. thought i had another coin as it had a smoothed of shank which was covered by dirt.
sure looked coiny before cleaning ...
4th button , flat button reads ( GILT W.C.T. or W.C.I ) no other marks.
the 5th button the large crusty one. is a gold gilt button, there was something attached to the front at one time, but it is missing . no visible text on reverse.

pulled up another piece of copper plating to something. (top)
a large lead sinker.
1940 wheat cent.

a few more pieces of British slip ware ( pottery )
and some other odds and ends ...

[attachment=2783][attachment=2795][attachment=2784][attachment=2785][attachment=2786][attachment=2787][attachment=2788][attachment=2789][attachment=2790][attachment=2791][attachment=2792][attachment=2793][attachment=2794]
I really like the buttons myself. and as you stated yes buttons where at one time used as currency, often a gold or silver button would be pulled from a coat or uniform to pay a debt .
i bet there are some massive button collections throughout the other members here.
i`ll have to dig out all my bins from other sites, and get a total button count. as i keep things organized by site.
as far as the site i have been working for the past 2 1/2 months here are the buttons i have recovered .
[attachment=2800]
Reference URL's