Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Little octagons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Me and Og Went back to the old site today.  He found the first one of these with his little bounty hunter.  It was our first dig.  Then I found the other four with the TDI.  They hit as high conductors.  Any ideas?
Man, I got no idea Will. Maybe boot lace rivets?

Ed
They look like trunk cushions (feet from the bottom of a trunk).  Not 100%.  There are many different designs.

Example.
I agree they do look like they are off an old trunk, or some kind of furniture tacks.
Those little octagon things are "slate/tile anchors"  They were used on slate/tile roofs to help hold the tiles down.  The tiles had notches on the edge and when two tiles lined up it would make a hole and then one of the anchors was used and then next row of tiles over lapped the seam. The next row of tiles had a hole in the middle and that went on the anchor as well and then the anchor was bent over to secure them in place. That is why they are all bent over.

Most were made of copper and that is why they ring up like a coin.

I am sure Ray has seen these on some old homes.

You will probably find some broken tiles in some of your dig holes.
(08-31-2014 05:29 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Those little octagon things are "slate/tile anchors"  They were used on slate/tile roofs to help hold the tiles down.  The tiles had notches on the edge and when two tiles lined up it would make a hole and then one of the anchors was used and then next row of tiles over lapped the seam.  Teh next row of tiles had a hole in the middle and that went on the anchor as well and then the anchor was bent over to secure them in place.   That is why they are all bent over.

Most were made of copper and that is why they ring up like a coin.

I am sure Ray has seen these on some old homes.

You will probably find some broken tiles in some of your dig holes.

Awesome ID Ron.  Thanks.  That makes perfect sense.  I guess I will be digging more of those at this site.

Og was calling them octagon nails.  He wasn't far off huh
Good call Ron! I think you hit the slate tile anchor on the head!
Thank you.  I have dug a gazillion of these....now I know.
When I found similar ones on an athletic field they are spikes from the fifties but yours seem to have longer spikes so I would go with the roof concept.
Reference URL's