Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Round Copper or Brass Thingy's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I found these in the woods yesterday quite a way from the road. There was one each by three big trees separated by 50 to 75 feet. Just down under the moss on the north side of the trees. Two of the trees were huge birches with names and initials carved in them but no dates. The Morgan is from my collection for size reference. These things have to be brass as two are very hard and cannot be bent by hand while the third thinner one can easily. They are not magnetic. There are no numbers, letters or anything to reference their manufacture. But it looks like they were cut off of a longer tube or can. I was thinking that they might be binocular or telescope objective rings but why would there be three in separate locations with absolutely no other signals around or underneath them. But they also look like they could be spouts to some kind of can. But who makes a can made of brass or copper? Good luck and any help would be appreciated.

Ed
I don't know, but they are interesting.
I got to looking around on the net and the thought came to me that they may be bearing sleeves for a wagon wheel. All the trees were along an old long forgotten farmers path. Any takers on this? That would make sense as there are 2 ends and a middle.

Ed
(08-31-2014 08:22 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I got to looking around on the net and the thought came to me that they may be bearing  sleeves for a wagon wheel. All the trees were along an old long forgotten farmers path. Any takers on this? That would make sense as there are 2 ends and a middle.

Ed

I'll buy this theory of the bearing sleeve, sounds plausible to me.
you make some very interesting finds.
they do appear as if they could be some kind of bearing sleeve.

H.H.

BONES ...
on one of them you can still see the threading I would have to agree part of a spout (they look a lot like some of the old attachments on some taps, [brass]) we used to have in a couple of the old houses I grew up in.
(09-11-2014 08:38 AM)rockhunter005 Wrote: [ -> ]on one of them you can still see the threading I would have to agree part of a spout (they look a lot like some of the old attachments on some taps, [brass]) we used to have in a couple of the old houses I grew up in.

Rock,

I don't know if it's threading actually. On close inspection it looks like machining grooves. Which led me to suspect some kind of wheel bearing sleeve. But when you say brass taps, what are you referring to exactly so I can get a better idea of what you mean.

Ed
(09-11-2014 08:45 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2014 08:38 AM)rockhunter005 Wrote: [ -> ]on one of them you can still see the threading I would have to agree part of a spout (they look a lot like some of the old attachments on some taps, [brass]) we used to have in a couple of the old houses I grew up in.

Rock,

I don't know if it's threading actually. On close inspection it looks like machining grooves. Which led me to suspect some kind of wheel bearing sleeve. But when you say brass taps, what are you referring to exactly so I can get a better idea of what you mean.

Ed

I literally mean taps, as in water faucets
they look like a sort of bushing
Interesting finds , ive not seen anything like them over here , i will keep an eye on this thread to see if they get id ,Roger
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's