Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: New Site Features
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Diggers, it's kinda obvious, but, just in case you're blind as a bat Tongue wanted to point out a few new features on the site...

First is a top posters board up near the banner. It's pretty much self explanatory, and will come in handy on the technical side for upcoming contests, promotions, etc.

Second, you'll now notice a 'like' button at the bottom of each individual post. If you really dig a certain post, enjoyed what the poster wrote, agree with their sentiments, or, simply want to send some love (no gay), just hit the 'like' button. In case you're wondering, likes do not count as posts. Simply likes.

As is the normal course of things, if y'all tell me you hate this stuff, and enough of you do, we can gladly take these new features down. Up to you guys Wink

Joe
(09-09-2014 05:15 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Diggers, it's kinda obvious, but, just in case you're blind as a bat Tongue wanted to point out a few new features on the site...

First is a top posters board up near the banner. It's pretty much self explanatory, and will come in handy on the technical side for upcoming contests, promotions, etc.

Second, you'll now notice a 'like' button at the bottom of each individual post. If you really dig a certain post, enjoyed what the poster wrote, agree with their sentiments, or, simply want to send some love (no gay), just hit the 'like' button. In case you're wondering, likes do not count as posts. Simply likes.

As is the normal course of things, if y'all tell me you hate this stuff, and enough of you do, we can gladly take these new features down. Up to you guys Wink

Joe

Change is good, i like it ....
I noticed the top posters just now.  My name is up in lights.
Great ideas both. I'm already jealous of BONES this week. And I liked him three times!!Chuckle

Ed
Blushing ... Am i really that noisy on the site. 
i hope i do not offend anyone with my constant chatter and comments.
i love viewing everyone`s finds. and feel everyone deserves a pat on the
back and a kind word for their finds and time spent digging. 
so i try not to leave anyone out ... 
this is a wonderful forum, and i am having a great time viewing everyone`s posts,
and posting my dirty digs for everyone to enjoy ... 

Thank you again, for giving us all such a great forum and a place to share ...

H.H.
BONES ...
(09-09-2014 10:08 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Blushing ... Am i really that noisy on the site. 
i hope i do not offend anyone with my constant chatter and comments.
i love viewing everyone`s finds. and feel everyone deserves a pat on the
back and a kind word for their finds and time spent digging. 
so i try not to leave anyone out ... 
this is a wonderful forum, and i am having a great time viewing everyone`s posts,
and posting my dirty digs for everyone to enjoy ... 

Thank you again, for giving us all such a great forum and a place to share ...

H.H.
BONES ...

You rock, Bones!!! Since we're giving thanks, I'd like to say THANK YOU to Ed, as he's been helping me carry a heavy load on here, as we're growing. There's a lot of behind-the-scenes crap that goes on to keep this place humming, and having him by my side makes it a lot more tolerable. Most importantly...

I want to thank you guys, our members. Anyone can start a website or forum with a few bucks & a domain name, however, what makes it a COMMUNITY is the people. As I've said many times before, without all of you, your posts, and your time spent here, this place is simply a box drifting all alone out in the middle of cyberspace. As we grow, it might be tougher for me to give the forum the laser focused attention I could've before, however, it's not intentional. It's kind of like the guy that lives in a beautiful, palatial 10,000 square foot mansion. Yet, he can't always enjoy it as he has to work so hard to make the mortgage payments. Similar deal.

I really do cherish each and every one of you, especially the guys like Ron, Ray, Leo, Will, Bones & a few others that have been with me since square one. I can remember times when it was just me on here posting my finds & replying to my own thread "Super mercury dime, Joe!". Lol.

We have BIG things ahead for this place. And I hope all of those who have been with us & are like family will enjoy the coming ride Happy

Joe
Awhhh!! BONES! You're doing great. I'm not really jealous, but constrained by time and age! But Fall is coming and I'm working out with weights and doing sit ups so LOOK OUT! Laughing

You do a great service to this forum by posting what you do and everyone really enjoys it. I can see that you don't like rain days. Neither do I my friend.

Ed
The main reason the top poster widget was added is, like all forums, we want to reward the members who contribute the most. This will be done via upcoming contests, promotions, etc. For example, there might be a giveaway for the top poster of the week, the month, and so on. If Ed, myself or Gil had to manually keep track of each new post or thread, it would be murder, therefore, the widget above helps to easily keep tabs on who's in the running. Further...

I don't believe users should be looked at by numbers alone, it is also the quality of posts they are putting up; providing helpful links, giving background info on a certain piece that was found, etc. However, to hold a contest based on 'Most Helpful Post/Thread' would be virtually impossible, as who would get to decide the winner? If I or Ed did, we might be accused of favoring a certain member over another, etc. Also, 'most helpful/informative' is quite hard to define. What I consider most helpful, three other members may not. So...

As you can see, it is MUCH easier, (and fairer) to base a contest on number of posts. No room for splitting hairs, differences of opinions, etc., a clear cut winner.

Fortunately, we have a strong, tightknit family of hunters here, which is great. However, like most forums, there are many members who lurk in the background and are possibly too shy to post, might be afraid of asking dumb questions and so forth. The top poster board might spur this kind of member to get involved, if he/she sees others actively participating. The old 'jump on the bandwagon' philosophy.

Sorry to be so long winded, but, just wanted to clarify why that particular function was added. It was not meant for nefarious reasons, to pit users against one another or anything like that. Simply to build some excitement and possibly get the less active members into the fold.

Remember, if enough of you don't like something, and speak loudly enough, it's gone. However, majority rules. That's what forums are for, piping up. If I see 10 members bitching about something on here, I'd be an idiot not to fix the issue.

Now, would everyone chill the fu@k out and post some finds!!! Tongue Rofl

Joe
Joe,

Very good reasoning. I myself agree with everything you stated. Tornado Warning here now until 9pm so I'm chilling out pretty good as flying against my will to PA via the weather is something I don't want to be unchilled about. If you get my draught, Beer whoops, I mean drift.Yes

Ed
(09-10-2014 05:10 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Joe,

Very good reasoning. I myself agree with everything you stated. Tornado Warning here now until 9pm so I'm chilling out pretty good as flying against my will to PA via the weather is something I don't want to be unchilled about. If you get my draught, Beer whoops, I mean drift.Yes

Ed
There's no place like home.  There's no place like home.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's