Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: silver coins...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi Everyone

After viewing some of your great finds. i just wanted to know about your silver coins
what date do your silver coins start from and go back to ?  if you understand me lol.

here in the UK  silver coins after around the 1920s went down in silver content
pre 1920s coins where 100%silver  then from mid 1920s they went to 50 % silver. then i think after ww2 around 1947 all silver coins were replaced with cupro-nickel Sad

.if im wrong with the dates im sure the uk boys will correct me lol
but its a rough time if put ....

sorry if it sounds a dumb question

GL&HH
Simon
not at all a dumb question . i think the best persons to answer that for you would be Mr Ron(CA) or Mr Joe NjNyDigger they are very knowledgeable in US coinage.
as far as beginning dates i would guess our silvers would start around the pre colonial mid 1400`s on up to if i am correct 1964.
but again there are a few other members that can better answer that for you.

you guys do some amazing digging .
H.H.
BONES ...
Good summary simon i think your spot on with what you put . Roger
thanks for the reply bones ........so are all your silver coins up to 1964
100% silver ?  

thanks Roger ...i was not sure on the dates but im pretty sure mid 20s went
to 50% silver.
like i said,  im not the best guy to answer this for you. but i believe up until 1964
they where still producing coins consisting of 90% silver. 
we have a detectorist here in the St Augustine area who has dug many silver and gold coins dating back to the 1400`s 1500`s ... so far i have only pulled up the three  1500`s - 1700`s coins. and only the one cut piece of silver coin . not very old but nice indicators of what else may lay in the dirt . 

most of the silvers you dig are pure silver are they not. 
just curious ... 

BONES ...
thanks bones ......well anything pre 1900s is a good find .....the way i look
at it is ...your country is not that old ..so finding items 1700s 1600s 1500s
is awesome really. Yes
(09-12-2014 04:37 AM)nomis Wrote: [ -> ]hi Everyone

After viewing some of your great finds. i just wanted to know about your silver coins
what date do your silver coins start from and go back to ?  if you understand me lol.

here in the UK  silver coins after around the 1920s went down in silver content
pre 1920s coins where 100%silver  then from mid 1920s they went to 50 % silver. then i think after ww2 around 1947 all silver coins were replaced with cupro-nickel Sad

.if im wrong with the dates im sure the uk boys will correct me lol
but its a rough time if put ....

sorry if it sounds a dumb question

GL&HH
Simon

Any coin pre 1920 is 925 silver, 1920-1947 is 50% silver, after that they are crap lol.
Bones is pretty dead on US silver stops in 1964 Only exception is the Kennedy Half Dollar that was 40% silver 1965-1970 and special proof sets for collecting purposes.

The US starts with the Colonial times with most coins being copper. Some of our earliest silver coins starting in 1652 at a mint in Boston.  These would be the silver coins with the NE on them, the Oak Tree and the Pine Trees.   Pretty much made in accordance to British standard (threepence, sixpence and shilling)

The first TRUE US coins started in the early 1790's.  The Half Disme (spelled correctly) was a contract issued coin in 1792 with the first silver US coins hitting the market in 1794. All coin silver is 90% from the Philadelphia mint.

Of course silver from other countries  and plenty of Spanish silver was in circulation long before the US coins.  So it is not too uncommon to find Spanish silver in some of our earlier sites.

So you can see, a  1790's US silver coin is about as old as we can get for US silver coinage. That to us is like a rare hammered to you!! Happy
Fantastic explanation, Ron. Yeah, the vast majority of 1700's coinage is copper, which I'd love to find more of. I'm actually shooting to up my copper count, instead of silver come next year.

Joe
Thank you Ron!! I never knew that we started 90% silver coinage in 1792.

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's