Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: First bullet display completed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been working on display cases and boxes for some of my finds.
just wanted to share the latest bullet display.
all the bullets where picked up in the past 3 months in the same approx 2 acre total ground coverable area, only around 498 acres more to hunt. it was an old hunting location 30+ years ago ...

[attachment=3226][attachment=3227][attachment=3228][attachment=3229][attachment=3230][attachment=3231][attachment=3232][attachment=3233][attachment=3234]
I Hate Bullets  ...
thanks all, got`em glue gunned in there pretty well.
been killin me Ron, but gotta get it all out,  got a little taste of what there hiding from me a few weeks ago, so gotta pull out all the trash now ...

Thanks again

BONES ...

(09-15-2014 02:53 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]How did you make the display case, Bones? Maybe you can put up a tutorial for our fellow members, if you're able. It came out GREAT! I'm impressed Yes

Joe

this display box was purchased i just did the fancy glue work under the bullets on this one. i have been building shadow boxes for many of my other displays,
with Plexiglas  fronts. i will get a few pics of them and post.
(09-16-2014 06:21 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Nice display box for some of those brass! You're doing it right!!! Hope they got some game with all the shooting going on. Amazing how much lead we find isn't it? The newer frangible and Tungsten rounds should eliminate that from the environment. But who knows?  I've found hundreds of pounds of lead sinkers and bullets, in the local stream rock cracks as well as all of the woods. Turned it all in for scrap. Not to dis your finds but I'm hoping I'm doing something for the fish and wildlife. I've also fished and shot as much, or more, in my lifetime and maybe Karma will be kind to me. Dear God, there's a lot of lead out there.

Ed

No Dis at all Ed ... I save most of it for scrap as well, but figured i would at least make something of a few pieces, i keep all the round balls and minies, im doing a little more research on some of the other shell casings as some of them are from around the civil war era. those i will keep and or display, the more modern casings, sinkers an so on will be scrapped. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartridge_(firearms)
http://www.baymediapro.com/collection/
short article on civil war bullet and cartridge collecting ...
http://ezinearticles.com/?Undiscovered-S...&id=159184

BONES ...
(09-16-2014 06:58 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Post a pic of the Civil War era stuff.  Would love to see them and I might be able to assist on that.

FYI;  All center fire is post civil war.  The first patent was in 1866.

We find a lot of Henry Rim fire cartridges but that dates 1860 on up.

That would be great thank you. i will get a few close ups of a few in question and post in better light tmro ... 
the shell casings are just a back burner project, but still interesting to date ...
In the United States, in 1857, the Flobert cartridge inspired the .22 Short (another rimfire), especially conceived for the first American revolver using rimfire cartridges, the Smith & Wesson Model 1. A year before, in 1856, the LeMat was the first American (French-designed) breech-loading revolver, but it used pinfire cartridges, not rimfire. larger caliber rimfire cartridges were soon introduced after 1857, when the Smith & Wesson .22 Short ammunition was introduced for the first time. Some of these rifle cartridges were used in the American Civil War, including the .44 Henry and 56-56 Spencer (both in 1860). However, the large rimfire cartridges were soon replaced by centerfire cartridges, which could safely handle higher pressures
Thanks for the info, i`ll post some pics of the rimfire cartridges for Id ....

BONES ...
internet sure does help.
nothing beats a good book though ...
I have separated a few of the rim fire casings for possible ID.
most appear to be around the size of a 22
some long some very short ...

Thanks for any help ...

BONES ...

[attachment=3245][attachment=3247]
I agree from what i can tell they all seem post civil war era.
there are quite a few different ones, as in the shotgun shell caps.
i was thinking of trying to shine the heads up and pushing them down into
some foam to display the headstamps ...
if i throw something together later i1ll re post. got some diggin to go do now...
getting suited up for the woods ...

H.H. all

BONES ...
Reference URL's