Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: DE rally group.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This was the group from this Sunday and a shot of one of the fields. I was behind the camera.

[Image: 31e267aa-0125-46b2-a13d-470c17644c6c_zpsfc203953.jpg]

[Image: 72bfb30e-f0f8-4e44-b0f8-1a79370a30da_zpsc8163737.jpg]
that looks such an inviting field Stevie.........great pic of the motley crew Chuckle
Massive field mate, too big for us really. Most of the finds came off the smaller ones.
Nice digging area, looks like some nice easy digging soil.
sure beats pushing through the bushes and digging through roots for a button .
my spot is kicking my butt ... 
 large group of detectorists you have there as well,  I bet you all have a blast digging and showing off the finds at the end of each hunt.  

H.H.

BONES ...
(09-15-2014 06:17 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]Nice digging area, looks like some nice easy digging soil.
sure beats pushing through the bushes and digging through roots for a button .
my spot is kicking my butt ... 
 large group of detectorists you have there as well,  I bet you all have a blast digging and showing off the finds at the end of each hunt.  

H.H.

BONES ...

Yep, i love the arable land, no hard work involved digging. Average turnout for a dig, we try to allow about three acres per person but we had way over that  on this dig.
Looks like some serious, no bullshit, grab'em by the throat type of detectorists! How do you guys go about securing permission to these fields? Send letters, knock on doors, word of mouth? Also, do you typically do splits with the landowners?

Joe
(09-15-2014 06:51 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like some serious, no bullshit, grab'em by the throat type of detectorists! How do you guys go about securing permission to these fields? Send letters, knock on doors, word of mouth? Also, do you typically do splits with the landowners?

Joe
Evening Joe. Roger gets all our permissions by just calling and asking. Most of the farms are very large and in total he must have over 26,000 acres plus he's just gained another 6,000 acres in Gloucestershire. Anything worth over £200 is split with the farmer and if it's over 300 years old and 10% precious metal it has to go to treasure trove where it will be recorded and evaluated. If a museum wants to buy it then half the value goes to the land owner and half to the finder. If a museum dosen't want it then it will be returned.
(09-15-2014 07:45 PM)stevieB Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2014 06:51 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like some serious, no bullshit, grab'em by the throat type of detectorists! How do you guys go about securing permission to these fields? Send letters, knock on doors, word of mouth? Also, do you typically do splits with the landowners?

Joe
Evening Joe. Roger gets all our permissions by just calling and asking. Most of the farms are very large and in total he must have over 26,000 acres plus he's just gained another 6,000 acres in Gloucestershire. Anything worth over £200 is split with the farmer and if it's over 300 years old and 10% precious metal it has to go to treasure trove where it will be recorded and evaluated. If a museum wants to buy it then half the value goes to the land owner and half to the finder. If a museum dosen't want it then it will be returned.

That is a pretty SWEET deal Wink Everybody wins, which is the best way to go.

What with most of the obvious places having detected been pretty hard here over the years, and the new bans/ordinances that seem to be happening more & more, it's not easy to find productive hunting spots nowadays. Yes, heavy research will always turn up a worthwhile gem, however, outside of that, private property (IMO) is really the best thing left. Sadly, the days of just picking up one's detector, throwing it in the trunk, and hitting just any old spot are pretty much gone.

Pay to play with some of these farmers is both logical and savvy. With thousands upon thousands of acres to hunt, you guys literally don't have to spend a minute trying to find detecting spots. All play & no work...just the way I like it Happy

Joe
That`s some serious detecting , very interesting how you divide the hunting grounds and calculate and divide the finds. as stated keeps everyone happy.
and must really be fun for everyone in the group ... to be honest ... 
it can get a little crazier over here, its an all out battle coils swinging often upside someones head just trying to grab a clad quarter of the local park or beach .you have to work a little harder for the good hunting spots. but they are out there, usually takes quite a bit of research or knowing the right people and getting the right permission .
if you are lucky to secure a real good spot. you guard it with your life ...
or you`ll have everyone and his brother trying to dig up your site, and likely hurting your ability to hunt there, or causing more local restrictions to be implemented ... 

It`s Happy Hunting ...  ... as long as your not in my hole ... 
where i detect a gun shot in the woods is like a car horn in the city ...

BONES ...
(09-16-2014 12:34 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2014 07:45 PM)stevieB Wrote: [ -> ]

Joe

That is a pretty SWEET deal Wink Everybody wins, which is the best way to go.

What with most of the obvious places having detected been pretty hard here over the years, and the new bans/ordinances that seem to be happening more & more, it's not easy to find productive hunting spots nowadays. Yes, heavy research will always turn up a worthwhile gem, however, outside of that, private property (IMO) is really the best thing left. Sadly, the days of just picking up one's detector, throwing it in the trunk, and hitting just any old spot are pretty much gone.

Pay to play with some of these farmers is both logical and savvy. With thousands upon thousands of acres to hunt, you guys literally don't have to spend a minute trying to find detecting spots. All play & no work...just the way I like it Happy

Joe

If we want to detect outside of the dig group then we must gain our own permissions which for some people can be quite daunting but dosen't bother other people. I myself have nine farms to detect on at the moment so i can go at any time and most of them are within a 10-15 minute drive from my home. I get on with all my farmers really well, i'll take them a bottle at Xmas. Hope i can get to them by Xmas as i'm due to have a new knee next month.

(09-16-2014 02:36 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]That`s some serious detecting , very interesting how you divide the hunting grounds and calculate and divide the finds. as stated keeps everyone happy.
and must really be fun for everyone in the group ... to be honest ... 
it can get a little crazier over here, its an all out battle coils swinging often upside someones head just trying to grab a clad quarter of the local park or beach .you have to work a little harder for the good hunting spots. but they are out there, usually takes quite a bit of research or knowing the right people and getting the right permission .
if you are lucky to secure a real good spot. you guard it with your life ...
or you`ll have everyone and his brother trying to dig up your site, and likely hurting your ability to hunt there, or causing more local restrictions to be implemented ... 

It`s Happy Hunting ...  ... as long as your not in my hole ... 
where i detect a gun shot in the woods is like a car horn in the city ...

BONES ...

We do guard our dig areas with a passion. I don't know what you call them but we have people over here that detect illegally under the cover of darkness, we call them night hawkers. If they find out that a certain permission is producing the goods then they are all over it like a rash.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's