Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: common finds.. but very nice to find.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just wondered what are fairly common finds but your very pleased to find
them when your out on a hunt over there.

i find a few silver sixpences pre 1920s and silver 3 pence's. there fairly common
but always a delight to find imo.  plus roman coins ( not silver lol) get a few but most are grotty ..but still nice to find.what ever the condition.

like iv said ..whats the most common coin you find .but you like to find them.?
guess it would depend on your hunting location, myself i hunt an area with a lot of colonial era activities, so common finds to me would be colonial buttons and a lot of the round balls. and tons of iron objects. and other odd colonial era finds.

when hunting the beach which is extremely rare for me, i love the beach but never had to much luck hunting it. i normally return with some modern clad, and if very lucky a small silver ring or something like it .... been a while since ive hit beach gold, but again i rarely do beaches or public locations. ...

many of the other members such as Mr Ron hit areas producing some unbelievable gold nuggets.
then you have Mr Joe and Mr Ed and a few others that really clean house on the silver coinage.
so it really depends on the area you are hunting.

i would think because the history of the UK goes back so far and the ground has been well covered with history, your ability to make decent finds in most locations would be fairly good.

Happy Hunting no matter what your diggin  ...

BONES ...
To me ANY find is a bonus, i just love being out there waiting for the unexpected.
I totally agree, don`t matter if your pulling relics, silver coins, or gold nuggets, as long as your enjoying yourself is all that matters.
another rain day today kept me out the woods and from my hunting hole,
but i had a great time hunting my driveway for the 1000th time for a whopping 13 cents and 4 sinkers. ( i`ll spare ya`s the photos ) still got to test out some settings and get some fresh air ... 
it`s all about getting out and enjoying the outdoors and some fun in the dirt.
tomorrows another day, maybe something nice will pop up ... 

BONES ...
(09-16-2014 02:52 PM)stevieB Wrote: [ -> ]To me ANY find is a bonus, i just love being out there waiting for the unexpected.

yup totally agree mate ....but i just wondered what there common finds are
as  said  we here tend to find a lot of sixpences although there a common find
here ..there still awesome to find. well to me they are lol
Clad modern coinage is the norm here with copper Lincoln memorials being the stick in our eye, so to speak, because they're about everywhere and a must dig to clear an area. Next up in my region is screw caps and beer bottle caps. Devilishly good signals for those but a heartbreak in the hole.

As BONES said our real target here for some of us is older silver coinage. I don't know where I was when it happened but detecting was a rage here for about 25 years that tapered off two decades ago and those chaps back then cleaned up on the silver like we clean up on the clad today. So for us to still find some silver about we are either hitting areas never swung or catching the stuff they missed with our newer machines.

Us silver gobblers look for clues like wheat cents. That's why we post so many wheats. Not only does it give us a clue to the areas age but it also infers that there may be old silver still about.

Don't get me wrong though. On some days when the swinging is real quiet, without even any nulling, even a crushed ale can is a welcome sight in the hole!

Ed
Reference URL's